Moved and battery life is horrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Jan 21, 2014.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I just moved to another state. Since moving my battery life has been horrible. I noticed my signal would change from lte to 4g a the time while in my new place. I disabled lte to see if it would help and it didn't help at all. Any suggestions? I have att and get 2-3 bars of 4g with lte turned off.

2. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

It's because your phone is constantly searching for LTE/3G. You switched the LTE setting to off in settings I take it?

Using just 3G should in theory help your battery if it's searching all the time for LTE. There's not much you can do sadly, other than switch off 3G or data until you need it. Far from ideal though!

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

I'm not sure it's poor coverage. I get 3 bars of 4g and even lte sometimes if I turn it on.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Did you have LTE before you moved? AT&T recently upgraded the towers near where I work and live to LTE and my battery life actually improved compared to the my battery life on 3G/4G.

6. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Yes but my battery is like 100% worse. I got 3 hours of usage today and was at 10%. before I moved I'd get 7-8 hours easy.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

That doesn't sound right. Have you tried closing out all apps and restating the phone? Just to make sure that somehow there's not something else in play as well? Perhaps even resetting network settings if not even all settings? Maybe even going as far as restoring at least to see if that might make a difference ultimately given such bad battery usage.

8. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

You might want to reset your network setting and see if that helps. Maybe it is the search order for service and signal. If it has the old towers/connections and can't connect them searches for a better signal it might be what is eating your battery. try to reset the network settings…this way it will search and find the nearest tower and then that tower will be first in the search order. Hope this helps…..

go settings > general > reset > reset network settings

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But if the LTE radio is constantly sending out pings looking for a tower, then yeah its going to get horrible battery life. Turn off LTE and that should improve things. I see this occur with my phone when I'm in a location that has no LTE but I have LTE enabled.

10. cynics macrumors G3

I'd try rebooting the phone (power + home button until you see the Apple logo), resetting network settings like described, and syncing with iTunes to make sure you have the latest carrier version.