Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
So I decided I would like to move my backup drive to my airport extreme. I used to backup my mac via FW-800 connected directly to my mac, but I would now like wireless backups so I can access all my files from anywhere.

When I moved the drive and connected it to my AE via usb, I can see it and mount the drives. However, now time machine seems to not recognize my previous backups.

Because my time machine partition is only 500gb, when I tried to backup my mac, it told me that there was not enough space on my drive to do a backup. Time machine was trying to backup my ENTIRE mac, rather than just recent changes.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
From it saying it was trying to backup your entire mac, it thought this drive was new. Try to figure out why it thinks this drive is a new drive.

What system, or wireless devices do you have connected to the Extreme?
If any, disconnect them for the time being and just connect this mac.
If the prob persists try connecting the drive with the firewire again, not USB. It sounds like the mac cannot figure out why you changed around.

If this fails, try figuring out how or what is wrong with the way your mac is talking to your AE. it might be something really simple.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
So I decided I would like to move my backup drive to my airport extreme. I used to backup my mac via FW-800 connected directly to my mac, but I would now like wireless backups so I can access all my files from anywhere.

When I moved the drive and connected it to my AE via usb, I can see it and mount the drives. However, now time machine seems to not recognize my previous backups.

Because my time machine partition is only 500gb, when I tried to backup my mac, it told me that there was not enough space on my drive to do a backup. Time machine was trying to backup my ENTIRE mac, rather than just recent changes.

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?
Time Machine back-ups on a drive connected directly via FW are stored in a slightly different way from back-ups on a drive connected over a network.
I found this site very useful for explaining the difference and for the Tips to make it work between both scenarios.
http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/18.html

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/23.html

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.