moved cut sim from an iphone 4s to an iphone 6 plus, now data doesn't work.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 73CortinaV8, Dec 7, 2014.

1. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

Work gave me an AT&T iphone 6.

My personal phone is an ATT iphone 4S with unlimited data. I thought I would be clever and switch the sims and back up and restore.

This is what I did:
    1. backed up the 6 on one computer and backed up the 4S on another.

2. cut the sim of the 4S with a quality sim cutter.

3. reset all data/erased the iphone 6

4. plugged the 6 into the computer with the 4S backup, performed a restore from backup from the 4S backup. This seemed to work fine.

Except I have no data now on the 6. apps work ok on wifi, but things like mail give me this message: "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service"

The top of the phone display says "4G". LTE is enabled in the settings. I tried a hard reset. no dice. tried toggling LTE on and off. Data on and off. airplane mode on and off.

Calls work fine. Is a cut 4s sim not compatible with the 6? Anything else I should try before I give up on this and put this sim back in the 4s?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Att does their data strangely (or maybe it's a technical requirement I don't know) and required an LTE data plan as well as sim for the device. Theoretically you should be ok if you call in or online chat with a rep to get your data plan sorted.

3. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

You'd need to get an LTE nano SIM that fully supports LTE. You can buy one at Best Buy or go to AT&T (think theirs are free) The 4S uses the micro 3G sim and it also supports HSPA+ which isn't the same as LTE. Get an LTE SIM, go to best buy and have them do a simple hardware/SIM swap. Your overall plan wont change, with the exception of them simple adding LTE to your plan.

4. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

New SIM cards are free. Just visit an AT&T store and say you're having issues with yours.

5. MSK5959 macrumors member

Try this also:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1786392

I went and got a new SIM, and my data still didn't work, so I had to do this to get Data. Also, my phone was constantly showing "4G", not "LTE", and as soon as they did this it switched to "LTE"

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They need to enter the imei of the phone you're using in their system and switch you from a 3G to an LTE iphone data plan.
    Also you will need a new sim.