"Moved" data recovery! Please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDAVE, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I moved about 25GB of important data to an external drive from one of my Internal drives in the Mac Pro which is HFS+.

So what happened was my external drive crashed and has errors on the files and most are not usable.

I have not written anything on the internal drive nor erased it so there's a good chance that the files are still there just not showing up on the table.

Any help appreciated, these files are very important to me.

I googled around and found a bunch of them but none seem to "recover" specific folders, just data types such as mp3, mov, etc. I need to recover "folders" that I have had moved. Let's see if this thing recovers the folder structures and files inside of them.

Right now I am trying Boomerang in trial mode (It's taking about 2 hours) but it's very expensive ($200).

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm willing to bet that you won't get back your folder structure. That's part of the directory, and it's been erased. Not too many things will bring that back. Best bet in my opinion might be DiskWarrior, but you might just have to accept reorganizing everything.

Lesson to learn, btw: never keep your data in only one place (external or internal).

jW

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I can live without the folder structure, I'll just relink the files in After Effects.

I know it was dumb of me not to back these up, which I usually do. I should've just "copied" instead of moved! What's wrong with me?

I will give Disk Warrior a try, does it recover lost files?

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

DiskWarrior couldn't find those files?

I need help.

Has anyone been able to recover "moved" files?

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

By moved, you mean deleted from the original hard drive and emptied from trash, right?

First, don't write anything to the hard drive now (I'd recommend not even using the machine till you get the recovery software, since system logs/caches may write disk areas of the deleted files).

You can try the following programs:

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

and there may be others as well. Good luck.

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

By moved I mean selecting the folders then holding the CMD key down to "move" the file.

This is a secondary drive in Bay 2 of my Mac Pro, so I will try some other things.

I tried Boomerang trial and it found random things but wouldn't see those files that I wanted :(

I will give those 2 apps a try that you mentioned.

Any more ideas welcome.

Thank you

7. alikai macrumors newbie

me too

I did the exact same thing, except my hard drive was lost. I used data rescue and it worked pretty good recovering a lot of files but not all. I'm not sure if it recovered the moved files or only the files I actually deleted. Let me know if anyone makes progress situation.. so many memories gone :(

----------

I wonder if professional data recovery experts are capable of retrieving more files that I could. Or if my stolen harddrive could be tracked down.. anyone have any good ideas?