Moved from Air to Mini....

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by evanskl, Aug 2, 2016.

1. evanskl macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new mini (2104, 1.4GHZ Intel Core i5, 4GB, 16MHz, DDR3) and transferred (using Migration Assistant) everything from my Air (2012, 1.8GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1600MHz, DDR3).

EVERYTHING I try to open takes 30-40 secs, Safari, System Preferences, Calendar...everything.

Can anybody tell me if it's the machine, or the transfer from the Air that is making this so painful?! Also, is there any fix?

Tks-

2. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It could be the assistant, or indexing of the files off a fresh install. However it is probably the hard drive. The base Mini comes with the slowest drive available while the Air (even in 2012) had much faster SSD.

3. evanskl thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Get yourself an external 500 gB SSD and run system from there.
    Partition the internal slowpoke for backup, iTunes library and pix.

5. evanskl thread starter macrumors newbie

6. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

The new Mini has a non upgradeable drive.

I suggest turning off spotlight search and turning on again. That will delete and recreate the index.

You may also want to get external drive and install fresh copy of OS on that, and migrate your data over manually (not via migration assistant) and see if it runs better - you will know if issue is software related or hardware related (I think the spinner drive is still a 5,400 RPM).

With the current generation mini you are stuck with what you got from the factory as far as drive and memory, but you can run from USB or Tgunderbolt.

7. Miat macrumors 6502

8. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP asks:
    "Can anybody tell me if it's the machine, or the transfer from the Air that is making this so painful?! Also, is there any fix?"

The "fix" was to buy a Mini with a pre-installed SSD.

Too late for that now. Unless you're willing to return the Mini you bought, and get one with a fusion drive or "straight SSD" in its place.

Actually, I think that's the BEST option.

You -ARE NOT- going to make one that's booting and running from a platter-based hard drive inside very fast.
    Ain't gonna happen.

If you DO decide to return it, get one of the following:
    a. The "mid-range" model with a 1tb fusion drive option added in. This comes with the better IRIS graphics, 8gb of RAM, and a fusion drive with a 128gb SSD portion and a 1tb HDD portion.
    b. The "top-level" model. This comes with the fastest CPU, IRIS graphics, 8gb of RAM, and a 1tb fusion drive (as above) -- all STANDARD.

If you don't want to do any of the above, your best option is to buy an EXTERNAL USB3 SSD drive, and plug it into the back and make it your "external booter". It will then run quite well, and I predict you'll be quite pleased with the performance.
    For a drive, I'd suggest something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20