Moved from Airport Express to Extreme, now internet problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thump365, Aug 29, 2008.

1. thump365 macrumors newbie

Hello

Please help

I originally got an Airport Express that I could never get to work using auto DHCP setup. After many hours I configured IPv4 manually using a static IP and the router Address as well as manually completing the DNS servers and domain name.

I connect through Cox.

So I got an Airport Extreme a few days ago and now I cannot connect to the internet. I've tried using the exact same settings as for the Express, but no luck. Also tried configuring IPv4 to using DHCP, but no luck.

I've turned off everything and restarted, still nothing. I have also waited overnight, but that didn't work either.

I probably shouldn't be using a manually entered IP in the first place, but this was the only thing that seem to do the trick.

Any advice on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting tired of waiting to see if my browser connects to a site (It takes a while for it to say that it can't connect to the internet)

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Did "everything" include the cable modem?

I don't know anything about Cox in particular, but every cable modem that I have ever used required a reboot *every* time you changed the device that you plugged into it. This is because it memorizes the Ethernet hardware address of the first router/Aiport/computer that it sees on the wire and will *only* talk to that one device.

A.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I really didn't think my cable model needed a reboot after I installed my Time Capsule--I tried a bunch of different things and was about to give up--so I did try one last thing--rebooting my cable model--and that was it. I have internet phone with Bright House and my modem has a battery backup so it was a bit of a hassle finding the stupid reboot button--but I'd certainly try rebooting if you have not done so.

4. thump365 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Alrescha. Yes, I disconnected the power from the cable modem until the green lights went out and it still didn't work. Does this have the same effect? I'll see if I can locate a reboot button.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

That's exactly the kind of reboot I had in mind :)

A.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i havent had the best experience with Cox myself.
    but generally it should make a difference if you change routers at all.

id say do a power cycle shut off everything for a minute atleast including the computer.
    unplug all the cables from the modem including the coxial, the ether cable and the AEBS.

My modem used to time out every so often randomly when using Cox, i discovered it wasnt nothing on my end but they didnt properly initiate my IP and my connection so my modem would connect then stay active for a while and then randomly shut off.

if cycling the modem & router doesnt work, try a straight connection with the modem if possible, might rule out some issues.

i have my AEBS set up with the default settings mainly, and have a generated IP address if i recall correctly through DHCP.

7. thump365 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the advice, you guys rock!

it's working.

apparently just plugging out the power from the modem doesn't do the trick as it has an internal battery.

after spending hours and hours trying to reconfigure addresses all it took was to find that small reset button.

thanks again!