Moved from Android to iPhone - first impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by simaka, Sep 15, 2014.

1. simaka macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, just joined the forum. After having 4 android phones (2 flagmans and 2 midrange), I finally migrated to iPhone 5s. I waited for the new iPhones to be officially announced, and when I found out they are big ( I don't like the big phones ) - I went for the 5s as the form factor is great. Here are my first impressions. I hope someone can help with the negative ones - I googled a lot but probably there are fixes that I don't know.

Pros:
    *I like the centralized menus for all apps in settings - for background data, for notifications and etc - Really nice!
    *Very smooth transitions, very smooth graphics overall
    *Really good built quality... but everyone knows apple products are manufactured well.
    *the keyboard is really easy to get used to
    *great call quality
    *Siri is surprisingly useful
    *The built in photos app is many times better than the one in Android. It organizes photos very well by date/location.

Cons: (the first 3 annoy me the most).
    *Can't set default browser (probably that's applicable for everything that apple supplied an app for)
    *When typing, I can't tap and move the cursor to a letter in the middle of a word to fix a spelling mistake.. Maybe swiftkey will allow it once it gets released in 2 days
    *Can't have notifications on my lock screen without the screen waking up for each notification (drains the battery)
    *Unimpressive battery life - I always thought that Apple optimizes everything and they don't use the most powerful hardware but the one that gives extremely good horsepower/power consumption ratio. My phone definitely stays alive less than my HTC one, which already had disappointing battery life. Anyway, I installed Normal to try to improve it.
    *No app for location aware profiles :-( I miss Llama...
    *Can't pick up viber calls from the lock screen - I have to unlock first
    *App photos are thrown in camera roll (whatsapp chats' photos for example) - really inconvenient
    *It seems to me that the free applications in the app store are of not so good quality and I will be frequently forced to purchase (not a big problem, and might not be true).
    *Not-so-important-issue - Returning to where you were after double tap doesn't always put you back exactly where you were (after checking a photo of a piece of paper that contains the wireless power and double tapping to go back to settings - I was no longer typing the password but I was in the menu where all visible wireless networks are listed). This might be just a one-time occurrence in the specific case described.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

With respect to typing, long press on the input area gives you a magnifying glass that you can use to position the cursor. You can also tap misspelled word and sometimes get a box with replacements.

With respect to battery life there are several good internet guides to show you how to optimize your battery life. No doubt being on the phone for hours is a battery killer.

3. simaka thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

thanks a lot for the magnifying glass, this helped a lot. I will look into the guides for battery life.