Moved from Mac Air 13" to MacBook Pro 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machappyboy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

Has anyone moved from the Mac Air 13" to MacBook Pro 15"? Did you find the 15" to be too heavy? I'm thinking of making the switch but am worried about the extra weight, although I think I'd love the screen!

2. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Are you traveling a lot with the laptop in a bag? Do you have to move a lot with the laptop in hand, like at school or office environment? I've gone through a few laptops recently, MacBook Air 11", Asus 11", Dell XPS 13, retina MacBook and now I'm on a 2014 MacBook Pro 15. I haul in my computer everyday then it's basically stationary at my desk for the work day. The difference of up to two pounds is not a problem for me. Though I use a backpack, I've stopped using messenger/sling type bags. Having a larger screen and a more powerful computer is much worth the trade for more lbs.

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Not done it myself, big change :)

Best of luck

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

I went from a 13in Air to a 15in pro for about a week and a half before returning it, but the size/weight wasn't an issue.

In a bag, the weight isn't noticeable. Holding the machine, it's definitely not as easy to toss around as an Air, but it's not bad. The only time I really felt the weight was when grabbing it with one hand - it feels so dense, I was sometimes afraid I would drop it. That's where the extra pound comes into play - when you're trying to grip it with one hand to pull out of a bag.

The footprint isn't a big deal either. It's larger than the Air, but not massively so, and the screen was a big step up.

5. kartcrg macrumors member

kartcrg

I did. You get used to it. I prefer the 13" form factor but I need the 15" power.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I came from a 2011 MBA to present day MBPro with TB 15". I travel for work quite a bit. It is a bit heavy for travel. I decided to keep my MBA and take that with me when I travel. I still have a week to decide if I should exchange down to a 13", but I love sizing up to a 15". The screen is amazing (of course) compared to my 2011 MBA. I still can't decide if I should do the exchange. I keep going to Apple to look over the 13" a few times now and kept leaving with my 15" on hand. I think I'm leaning towards keeping the 15".