Moved my TV shows onto an external disc. Now they won't play properly

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by F1 Fan, Apr 26, 2012.

1. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

First thing: I'm using Windows 7

I copied all the TV shows I've bought from iTunes onto my external drive and deleted them from my laptop's HDD.

Then I tried to play one from the library and, when prompted, located the file on my external.

When I choose the option to not use the location to find other missing files, the episode plays perfectly.

However, when I choose the option to find all the missing files, it looses the visuals and just plays the audio. Other episodes then play the same way. Obviously, I could go through all of them one at a time but it would save me a lot of time if I could get the 'locate' feature to work properly.

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. F1 Fan thread starter macrumors regular

F1 Fan

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Have you solved this yet? If not, you might want to try this. I'm guessing that you have a bunch of TV Shows in iTunes that have the triangle with the "!" in it. Right?

If so, try this (maybe do one or two first, before doing them all at once).

1. Go into the iTunes preference and make sure the iTunes Library is pointed to the correct folder on the external. Uncheck the box that reorganizes the folders if you want to manage the folder structure yourself.

2. From the iTunes library window, delete a few TV Shows. This will delete them from the iTunes database file.

3. In Finder, find the TV Shows that you deleted. Drag/Drop them onto your iTunes Library window (left column). This will import the show back into your library. It will make sure that the database file has the proper file address.

4. If this works, then do it for all of your TV Shows.

Hope this helps.

4. F1 Fan thread starter macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Thanks ftaok.

I didn't think this would work in Windows but it did :)

I was able to delete all the TV shows from iTunes then drag and drop the folders (didn't even have to go down to individual series or episodes) straight from Windows explorer into the TV shows space in iTunes.

That saved me a lot of time!

Thanks again. You're a hero! :D