Movember

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

http://www.movember.com/

Is anyone else participating in Movember this year? You need to start with a clean-shaven face on November 1st, and I've just been letting it grow and grow since then. I've got a great 'mo (for an asian dude), although I'm cheating a bit with my beard. However, I've been waiting for it to grow to make it 'designer'.

Here's what I have now. Thank goodness for Photo Booth. :)

Attached Files:

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I thought about joining in this year...for about 5 seconds before I remembered I look stupid with any kind of facial hair. It's good to see lots of people supporting the cause though, especially around uni.

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You don't think I feel stupid? I want to shave now. I've got around 17 days to go.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I wish I could join. But Mo's would look too weird on me these days even when fully grown. I had skin dying off in various parts of my face due to a few injuries and many hair follicles didn't make it through the reconstruction process.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

my facial hair just doesn't grow right or something

7. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

My partner thought he could finally achieve his dream of growing a Tom Selleck-esque moustache under the clever guise of supporting Movember, but I was too smart for him. No pimp-stache will ever make it past my executive veto power over facial hair.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My boss won't let me. It's probably for the best.

I've seen some pretty cool moustaches 'round though.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

After about a week it drives me nuts and I have to shave.:eek: Someday I will let it grow.:cool:

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yeah the end of the first week is the worse. A few days after that it will be long enough not to bother you any more.

11. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you won't even go through a bit of struggle to support men's health?

It's always about the pink ribbon, isn't it. No wonder mens health gets so little attention, so little funding, and so little charity.

But anyway, it doesn't matter. It only affects 49% of the population.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Quick question as I hadn't heard of this before - does it have to be mustache only or can one grow out other facial hair? The official site isn't very clear on that.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We have a running joke at work that if we want to sell more wine then we just need a pink highlighter. Highlight some of the labels and we'll be laughing. It's really pretty ridiculous how many things are sold 'for breast cancer awareness' nowadays.

14. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

I was going for it....but then this girl that I was/am somewhat interested in told me that she didn't like guys with facial hair, and we went to a dance together (not together, but she didn't have a date, and I didn't have a date, and we danced together....gotta love college dances!), so I shaved for that, to be more pleasing to her. Then the next night I got told that I was pretty much in friend zone and was gonna stay in friend zone, forever. So I sort of regretted shaving.

I haven't shaved since, and probably won't. I might go a week past the end of november just to getin a full month. I have no hair connecting some crappy mutton chops to a crappy moustache, but I have a decent goatee (no soul dot/jazz dot...I guess facial hair is scared of my mouth?), and can pull of the "jawline" look decently well, and have lots of hair on my neck. I would be more upset, but my family doesn't have very good facial hair as a whole, and I'm only 18...

15. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's technically supposed to be moustache only, but people have grown the beard out and then did their own fancy design to it. Others will have hair grow starting from their sideburns, down to their beard, which then connects to their moustache. It all looks very neat. However, I lack the "connectors" between my moustache and beard that prevents it from looking cool. The small area at the sides of my mouth don't grow hair for some reason. :(

For the last 10 days of Movember, when the 'mo is overtaking the entire area under my nose, I'll shave the beard and go with the plain mo.

Exactly. It's only a big deal because breast cancer affects women, and if we don't care, people will think you're heartless and have no soul.

Outside of skin cancer, prostate cancer is more common than breast cancer in Australia. Colon cancer kills kills kills. Lung cancer.....well, you're pretty much ****ed if you have it. However, breast cancer has the most marketing.

I guess Movember doesn't really matter if even men don't support it, though.

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Why wasn't this thread started before the start of the month that way more of use could've joined in.

My grandpa died of prostate cancer.

Re: breast cancer

Last year in Sheffield there was a five kilometer run for breast cancer. I was going to join in but wasn't allowed. Reason I am a man, seriously what the **** that is so stupid to cut the amount of potential revenue in half. Suppose it was organised by a woman and she didn't want the women taking part to feel self conscious but surely ever woman who has ever had breast cancer has been someone's daughter, mother, sister ...

My girlfriends aunt has had breast cancer, along with 3 other people I know through my family

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, breast cancer awareness campaigns attract their fair share of man-haters here too.

18. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

What a crazy idea! I hate facial hair, but I think it has to do with me having blond hair though :)

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's not like girls have to grow bigger boobs for Boobtober.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But they are welcome too.:p

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As it is getting towards the end of Movember was wondering if there were going to be any updated pictures.

22. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Yes, I look like crap. :(

[​IMG]

My hair looks funky because I had spent the entire day working on my truck. I don't know why that messed up my hair, but it did.