Movie admission - 21 and over

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by P-Worm, Nov 14, 2008.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I was shopping for tickets to a showing of Quantum of Solace and came across something pretty interesting. The theater I was looking at was having a "Zero Distractions" showing of Quantum of Solace at 10:45. This showing does not allow babies or teenagers into the theater and you have to show ID showing you are over 21.

I thought it was a wonderful idea. There are plenty of showing for all the teenagers that often make me not want to go to the theater, but I can have one where I just watch the movie and have a good time. Now if only they could get rid of the tall guy that always seems to sit in front of me... ;)

With that said, I can see this backfiring and upsetting a lot of people. What do you think of the idea? Is it paving the way for a cinema-going revolution, or is it just a PR nightmare?

P-Worm

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Adults are worse than children in most cases, but I like the idea of being able to not have to worry about kids.

I've had 10-year-olds sitting next to me in R-rated movies - kind of embarrassing.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cinemas are losing trade to the 40" plasma Dolby 5.1 stay at home 35pluses. Anything to bring grown adults back to the cinema, you know, to actually watch a film is a good idea.

<sticking up for the fogeys> :D

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just think the theaters should remove anyone who's causing repeated distractions. Age limits won't fix it. They should just enforce the rules they already claim to have.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

How do you do that without disrupting the film even more, though?

But BV is right, since we got our new TV, we rarely go to the movies anymore. Too many rude people and ******s.

6. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I agree that doing this isn't going to magically fix the problem, but I definitely think it will help. I've been to a few showings where the theater if full of teenagers and there's always a few that decide to be extra annoying to impress some girl or something.

I can sympathize with the theaters being unable to control obnoxiousness in their showings. I can't imagine that they have the resources to monitor each showing in hopes of catching the Village Idiot. I think carding people is an easy thing to do that could make a difference.

P-Worm

7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This is the greatest idea I have ever heard.

Now I just need to be able to afford a movie ticket...

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I also think this is a good idea, but like others have said, there are jerks of all ages that can ruin a movie.

9. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

But a very high percentage of them seem to be high-school age...

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hear ya. I usually only go to festivals to see movies, because people are there expressly to see them and are respectful.

But as far as an age limit, I just don't know what that would really do. It seems that no matter what the audience in a regular cinema setting, there are huge amounts of rude people. For instance, went to see Mulholland Drive with some friends, and we had to change seats due to two 60+ year old men discussing all the plot points like they were in their own living room.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Pretty easy concept when it comes to going to the movies:

1. Sit down.

2. Shut the f**k up.

12. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm surprised there aren't more people a bit upset by the idea. Maybe they're all in school right now. ;)

P-Worm

13. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I don't see why people would have a problem with it. It sounds like it's only one showing, and that there would be others that the rest of the masses could go to.

Now, if an entire theatre decided to go to 21 and up only, I could see that being a bigger issue.

14. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sounds like a good idea, but that won't solve all the problems. The thing I hate most is during the first 10 minutes of the movie, people are still wondering in causing a lot of noise. Some people even walk in late and start yelling "Hey [insert name]! Where are you at?"

I don't go to the theater to watch many movies anyways. I never go see comedies because it gets too loud and you have people that repeat every funny line after it happens on the screen.

The last movie I saw in the theater was The Dark Knight the night it came out. Before that, it was the Halloween remake on Halloween night.

15. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

And here is yet another reason why 20 is the most irritating age... only 4 more months :p

16. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Why all the teen-bashing? There's plenty of us that aren't rude.

That said as long as there's enough other showings, I think it's a fine idea.

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No, you're pretty much all rude. :D

18. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Excuse me, that seemed rude right there, in response to polite point making. ;)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't go in the room he's gonna shoot you, noo don't go in the room he has a gun.

Those people?:p

A lot of theaters are serving alcohol now, that maybe why it is 21.

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

There... I fixed it for you. I hope you know that my remark earlier was a joke. I was under 21 once.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im a fan of this

heck just lastweek there were these middle school aged kids that would NOT shut up. to the point i had to confront them

are people really that oblivious common decency and etiquette?

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Personally I don't find the theater patrons annoying -- it's the "pre-theater entertainment" that bugs me -- all the ads, noise, etc. before the movie starts.

23. danny_w macrumors 601

We have a chain of theaters in Austin called the Alamo Draft House and, as the name implies, they serve beer (and food). So nobody under 21 is allowed for any movie. Actually I think they may have special kid shows on some Saturdays, but other than that...

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

maybe its just me but i remember a few years back that there were no commercials (like the tv kind) before movies and solely trailers.

25. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I remember those days too. I don't mind watching movie trailers, but tv commercials are just boring.