movie could not be played

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anthdci, Oct 21, 2010.

1. anthdci macrumors 6502

I have downloaded yesterdays event and cannot get it to play on my iPhone. I tried downloading it on my laptop last night then syncing with my phone this morning, I get the error ""movie could not be played"" when I go to open it. So I deleted it, rebooted, then downloaded it again, direct to my phone this time and get the same problem.

The phone is jailbroken so I thought it could be a problem regarding that but I have searched and not found anything similar. I tried youtube and that is working fine because I heard people having issues with that.

It is really annoying me as I was hoping to watch it on the train home from work today where I don't get enough signal to stream it.

EDIT: I have tested and It works fine streaming it from the apple website. It only seems to be if it is saved locally.

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

When you say download, in which way do you mean? If you subscribe to Apple's keynotes/events podcast it should play fine no issues...

EDIT: I stand corrected. The podcast version won't play on my iPhone 4 either :eek: nor will it play in QuickTime X on my Mac, though it plays in iTunes fine. How odd!

3. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

When I say download I mean search for apple in iTunes on my iPhone, scroll down to keynotes then press the "free" button to download it. Then go to open it in the iPod application, it is listed in podcasts and videos but wont play from either.

4. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

ah I am not alone, someone else has posted in the reviews of it that the "October keynote does not play on my iPhone"

5. mattydee87 macrumors regular

If you're desperate to watch it on your iPhone, the only thing I can suggest is to convert the keynote with Handbrake or something and put on the phone as a standard video. At least until apple fix the podcast version so it plays

6. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

it will have to wait until tonight since my phone syncs with my home laptop :(

7. boyneverstop macrumors newbie

same problem here, need to wait for apple to fix the video format

8. anthdci thread starter macrumors 6502

I ended up downloading it from iTunes on my work PC, changed the file type from m4v to mp4, then SSH'ed it to the phone, and installed YXflash and used that to watch it. worked great :D