Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chopper9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Is there a way to add the movie covers and basic information to movies I add to iTunes myself (downloaded and ripped movies, not iTunes purchased movies)?

When I go to MyMovies on AppleTV, and access the list, the only movies with covers and info are the movies I purchased.

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Is there a way to add the movie covers and basic information to movies I add to iTunes myself (downloaded and ripped movies, not iTunes purchased movies)?

When I go to MyMovies on AppleTV, and access the list, the only movies with covers and info are the movies I purchased.

You will need to download the amazing program called MetaX - its free and does an amazing job

Felder71

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Dont Use Metax...i Messed Up 5 Of My Movies!!!!!!!!

Make a copy before using MetaX, but I've used it for 100 movies and 220 Simpson episodes and never had an issue.

Also, I want to put in a vote for getting movie posters from getvideoartwork.com. Extra high quality artwork and they get rid of all the credit writing at the bottom so you get a very nice clean image.

aidricksdad

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2008
Round Rock
Everytime I Tried To Change Or Add Something It Messed It Up.....what I Mean Is A Did It Once With Metax..then I Went Back To Change Something I Forgot And When I Tried To Play It It Was Just Black Screen With No Sound...it Works As Long As You Get It Right The First Time....with Me Being Human And All I Think Second Chances Are A Need More Than A Want...what I Ended Up Doing What Finding My Own Art...then In The Description, Instead Of Typing A Long Synopsis Of The Movie I Just Made Sarcastic Quotes Of What I Thought Of The Movie Unless I Havent Seen It Then I Typed "havent Seen It Yet" ... Then Ill Go Back And Make Another Comment

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Everytime I Tried To Change Or Add Something It Messed It Up.....what I Mean Is A Did It Once With Metax..then I Went Back To Change Something I Forgot And When I Tried To Play It It Was Just Black Screen With No Sound...it Works As Long As You Get It Right The First Time....with Me Being Human And All I Think Second Chances Are A Need More Than A Want...what I Ended Up Doing What Finding My Own Art...then In The Description, Instead Of Typing A Long Synopsis Of The Movie I Just Made Sarcastic Quotes Of What I Thought Of The Movie Unless I Havent Seen It Then I Typed "havent Seen It Yet" ... Then Ill Go Back And Make Another Comment

I have the same issue. I never used to make a copy of files beforehand, but now I duplicate any file I use with metax, apply the changes then add it to iTunes. if I notice something is missing then I start all over again instead of just adding info with metax (this seems to be only with the most recent version of metax).
Aside from that, it's a great program. To the OP, if you're into getting good copies of album art, tryin http://www.getvideoartwork.com/ . It has a lot of high res copies (as well as different versions) for TV shows and movies (music too I believe)
Since I'm obsessive compulsive (slightly) I also tend to look at the wikipedia and IMDB pages of the movies to add in things like producers or writers (since most of the time metax only seems to pull actor and director).

Edit: apologies to Felder71, I didn't see that you posted that link already

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
MetaX, wish it wasn't so buggy because otherwise it'd be an awesome product. I actually have a flow pretty much down now which doesn't make it crash and/or screw up files. Basically I make a copy, only batch 10 at a time and as it's fetching info from the net (especially IMDB browser) I make sure I don't click on anything. It's free, and there's not too many alternatives out there, so I can't complain too much.

As far as cover art, getvideoartwork is great and I also like the http://www.themoviedb.org/ site as well. And here's a little tip I ran across in another thread which is pretty slick. Type in Google something like:

imagesize:1920x1080 batman

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
MetaX is a lot better now - haven't had a problem for at least 2 versions.

Look on preferences about telling MetaX to work on a copy of the file if you are worried.

Cheers, Ed

mac88

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Boston, MA.
I just copy the movie cover, place a copy in a separate folder if anything ever happens, and apply the image into the corresponding iTunes file. It always works for me. I use AppleScript for iTunes for all the movie/show information. I find that program works great.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
Make a copy before using MetaX, but I've used it for 100 movies and 220 Simpson episodes and never had an issue.

Also, I want to put in a vote for getting movie posters from getvideoartwork.com. Extra high quality artwork and they get rid of all the credit writing at the bottom so you get a very nice clean image.

I was just searching for a meta tagger for Simpsons episodes and I found this thread. When you use MetaX, are you able to batch apply episode titles and numbers (assuming that info isn't already in your files), for example from IMDB? I'm trying to find a way to avoid hand tagging 500+ episodes.

Shuttleworth

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
UK
In MetaX you can pen preferences and under the FIle tab there is an option to 'Put originals in trash', select this and it effectively makes a copy before writing. Once written I then check the files still play ok by opening them in QT before importing to iTunes.

I've noticed it mostly messes stuff up when you change the artwork after MetaX has already processed the file once. If I have to do this I use Get Info in iTunes, though this has also screwed stuff up as well in the past.

I've found it useful for doing TV shows as you can queue them all up, change the individual info like episode number and description (http://www.tv.com is handy for this) then write them all at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.