Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taylor814ce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Just got me an iPad air and rMini.

I have netflix and Amazon prime acct. however I want to download few movies on to iPad for kids when on road. How do I go about down loading movies on to my iPad? What method do you use and recommend???

Thank you

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
To download movies to the iPad, you first of all need them in iTunes compatible format. You can get that by buying movies from iTunes Store, or by converting movies you already have -- the most recommended program for doing this is Handbrake.

Once you have movies in iTunes compatible format, you drag them into iTunes and sync them to your iPads.

Taylor814ce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Thank you.

Program handbrake is something you download to your computer?

You said movie i already have. Am i able to download netflix movies? Or is netflix only wifi stream?

Thank you

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you.

Program handbrake is something you download to your computer?

You said movie i already have. Am i able to download netflix movies? Or is netflix only wifi stream?

Thank you

Yes, handbrake is a program you download for your computer.

As the other poster said, Netflix is streaming only. But many people have movies they get from other sources, which they use Handbrake to convert to iTunes format. If you don't have movies already, the best thing is to buy them from iTunes Store.

thebiggfella

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
Scotland, UK
Just curious: is handbrake a one stop shop for ripping DVDs to an iPad compatible format?

I've downloaded the trail version of ********* DVD ripper which seems to do a decent job with only one step involved but to get the full version, it costs around £24.

I'm still thinking about which software to get for this function.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
To download movies to the iPad, you first of all need them in iTunes compatible format. You can get that by buying movies from iTunes Store, or by converting movies you already have -- the most recommended program for doing this is Handbrake.

Once you have movies in iTunes compatible format, you drag them into iTunes and sync them to your iPads.
That it was one way to do it but if you have the digital files already on your computer you can use the VLC app without converting.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Just curious: is handbrake a one stop shop for ripping DVDs to an iPad compatible format?

I've downloaded the trail version of ********* DVD ripper which seems to do a decent job with only one step involved but to get the full version, it costs around £24.

Depends on the DRM of the DVD. Some DVDs take an extra step or two to convert.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I find it surprisingly cumbersome to transfer movies from the Mac to an iPad. I mean cm'on, why would I need to plug the iPad to the Mac and use iTunes for that ? Why no wireless solution like the Photostream ?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark

Yes. I never use anything other than Handbrake for "ripping" and converting my DVD's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.