Movie editing on Macbook Pro 15" 2010...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d-boy86, Mar 21, 2011.

1. d-boy86 macrumors member

Hi Guys --

So I purchased a 2010 Macbook Pro 15" a few days after they released the new ones with the SB processor. I've been using Macs for the last four years for audio editing and now moving over to video. And I am highly disappointed. When I tried editing in Final Cut Pro with one filter, it tends to lag. I'm not sure if its because the video quality is in 1080 and maybe I should bring it down to 720p.

I am not trying to do anything grand. Just a color correction filter and also a envelope effect (black borders on the top and bottom) of the video to give it the Wide Screen look and feel. Any ideas? I would hate to install Windows via Parallels and use Sony Vegas (in which my video editing worked fine on my moms jacked up PC).

2. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Why did you not exchange? it was free?

the speed boost in the latest mbps is immense.

3. d-boy86 thread starter macrumors member

Because the product went on sale. Thats why. But that's not the question I asked. People were raving how the 15" Macbook pros (i5) were all so grand, yet my moms PC beats it out by doing the same thing. I am a huge Apple fan boy, but I am tired of having to find work arounds. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

My machine (see sig) handles the entire Final Cut Suite with no issues. Well, not totally, things can lag a bit in motion. But for the most part I cruise right along when editing.

I would suspect your computer should be able to do everything you need with no problems.

5. simsaladimbamba

I guess you use footage which is not conform to your project and sequence settings.
    FCP likes to have its footage in .mov container using the ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for video and Uncompressed for audio. You can use MPEG Streamclip to transcode your footage (CMD+E) to that proper format, it even allows batch transcoding (CMD+B).

Also take a look at the manual coming with FCP, you paid for it anyway. It explains a lot about the proper footage and sequence settings. After that, you will see, that you have bigger files and less rendering to do.

6. d-boy86 thread starter macrumors member

^^ Thanks! Yes, whenever I import video it does give me a message about some sequence crap. I haven't yet mastered FCP yet. I'll give it a try sometime tomorrow.

7. simsaladimbamba

And you probably use some MPEG.4 encoded video, which is not meant for editing, as it does not store every frame and those missing frames have to be calculated again and again and therefore the CPU gets used a lot and RT effects aren't RT anymore, as the footage is not using an editing codec.

8. d-boy86 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I was trying to edit with MP4 files **shrugs**

9. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

MPEG Streamclip is what I use to turn all my DSLR footage into AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec)

http://www.squared5.com/

It's free and it's fast!

This will make FCP run as smooth as butter

10. d-boy86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. My problem wasn't with it lagging with just the footage by itself. But soon as I applied one filter (usually Mojo Bullet) it will slow down a lot.