Movie File Metadata

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Mar 5, 2009.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Is there a simple way to change the "Poster" frame on movie files without doing the following:

-Converting them to .mov via Quicktime (it works, but I have my files as AVI/Mp4 for a reason).

-Creating reference files for every movie individually via quicktime, and editing the poster preview on them/adding to iTunes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to have them organized myself, much like my Photos (I never liked iPhoto. ) iTunes is great for Music, but I don't use it for movies.

I can view my photos easily by selecting "view options" and "show preview icons". I give the folder a black background, and can view all thumbnails of photos. No Media Library needed, I know where they are, I can edit them, copy them, do anything without worry.

As for movies, All I see are Generic Icons. Even the Preview in column view is a black screen (first frame of the movies). VLC Player had an option for it, but I cannot edit the artwork/poster. All VLC lets me do is type in certain fields.

---------------------------------
    Edit:

I guess I'm screwed. I just checked, and the poster frame registers in the Column view preview, but when viewing them as thumbnails, it remains a generic quicktime icon. . . . This is using Quicktime. It seems even if there is a way to edit without conversion, I can't view them the way I want anyway. . .

I guess I'm forced to use a media Library.

2. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I have downloaded iVideo

It can handle many types, no converting necessary. It can set it's own preview based on a frame of choice, so you can know what the heck you're looking at (without using your file name reading abilities).

It's similar to iTunes, has playlists and such. There is a 24-hour trial, and a $20 shareware fee if you wish to buy it.

So far it seems pretty good, better than iTunes. I can run it along side iTunes, no switching libraries, or holding all movies together with the music library. The best thing it has over iTunes is support for other file types, not specifically ipod/quicktime like iTunes.

3. rcanpolat macrumors member

rcanpolat

search for mpeg streamclip. then drag your movie into the open window. then go to file, save as and select .mov. it wont convert the movie to a .mov but only tag it to trick itunes into thinking its a .mov.

so drag it into itunes and edit the data yourself. then drag it back into mpeg streamclip and repeat the step but save it back to the original format. (or keep it in itunes)

i do it for all my movies