Movie/Film Video Database Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Anawrahta, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Anawrahta macrumors member

As the title states I'm looking for a program that will let me catalogue my ripped DVDs and BR films into a database. Ideally it would give a nice long list with columns showing bit rate, resolution, audio bit rate, audio format, video encoding, file type, video length, size, etc. Obviously being able to sort by these different variables would be necessary. Also excellent would be if the database could somehow sync with the internet and grab information like director, actors, and writers.

Does anyone know of something like this? I've got quite a large film collection and it's becoming unwieldy.

I'm not looking for things like Delicious Library because those kinds of apps manage physical products not files.

2. steve123 macrumors regular

How about iTunes?

3. Anawrahta thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the suggestion, however iTunes can't handle matroska files among many other types of video containers. Not to mention it can't give you codec information, resolution information or other pieces of useful information in list view, making it impossible to sort by those variables.

Also I have iTunes set up to copy music to My Music folder, while I do not want it to do this with video files, and there's no way to have separate options for the two types. Reason being is I keep music on my internal disk, while I keep all the movies on external drives because of space issues.

Any other ideas?

4. Anawrahta thread starter macrumors member

5. Anawrahta thread starter macrumors member

Wow, this is pretty damn close to what I was looking for, and the interface is quite stylish.

Thank you.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

2nd for Plex

7. cAstEL® macrumors newbie

Super PLEX!

Great APP !!! Import all the movie and recognize the name (how does it can? I haven't any file named correctly!) and catalogue automatically with director, actors, genre.. and so so. awesome!

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm starting to build my own 'home theater' system so this thread has been very helpful. Never heard of Plex before, but going to play around with it now :D