Movie imported into iMovie is garbled

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by biggleas, Dec 1, 2011.

1. biggleas, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

biggleas macrumors newbie

I have a mini-DV camcorder attached via firewire (400 -> 800) to my iMac running Lion. Using iMovie '11, I choose Import from camera and iMovie recognizes my camera just fine. However, after importing (which takes a long time, as it occurs at only 1:1 speed), all the clips that iMovie displays of my video are 0.3 sec or less in length. When I play the movie, it is like watching the tape at 30x speed (my estimate). Attempting to slow the playback down using the Clip menu doesn't help - it just garbles the audio and makes the video jumpy.
    Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Update: Another weird thing - I tried importing the video via Windows Movie Maker (I have XP installed with BootCamp) and the exact same thing happened. It's like I'm only getting one out of every 1000 frames or something. The mini-DV was recorded in LP, but I don't see how that would make a difference. I'm really stumped. Any help would be great!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not really. I import from a DV camcorder without any problems.

Go to Home Folder>Movies>iMovie Events and your imported footage will be there. They should be .dv files. Double click one to play it in Quicktime to see if it shows the same problem.