movie maker for a kid?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by johnfnewman, Nov 10, 2014.

1. johnfnewman macrumors newbie

I have a 13 year old who is interested in movie making. I have a macbook pro, 13 inch from early 2011. 4GB, OS X Lion 10.7.5.

I have no experience or know-how on this topic.

Her dream is to become an animator. I don't know how to get her started as a hobby. I am looking for suggestions on easy, but decent software.

Thanks.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

On the mac you would use iMovie if your looking to make short videos.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Kdan has a program called Animation Desk that I really like. It's for OS X and iOS and is universal. For a 13 year-old this may be your best bet. It's pretty much traditional frame by frame animation, but you can copy/paste and move things around as needed.

http://www.kdanmobile.com/en/animation-desk/index_mac.html

Are you planning on getting her a graphics tablet? The basic Intuos Pen would be fine.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

My 10-16 year olds used iMovie and made some pretty good videos. Nice program, plenty of special effects.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

For movie making, A decent video camera and a good tripod. Next maybe lights. You can buy CFL based soft boxes now for dirt cheap on Amazon. The most expensive gear for a beginner will be microphones and the related audio recorders.

For software, start with iMovie then after a while maybe move to FCP X.

Animation is a different thing. First you use a "flip book" which is jut a stack of paper

6. v3rlon macrumors 6502

What KIND of animation?

Cel shade style like Snow White (from 1939) or classic Scooby Doo cartoons? Like drawings for each frame, even if that is rarely done these days. Anime Studio from Smith Micro will help with that style.

3D animation like Pixar or CG elements from pick your movie these days? Well, Blender (blender.org) is powerful, free, open source, and has oodles of dedicated followers. I tried it and absolutely cannot stand it, but that was more the user interface/experience than the power of the software. I like NewTek Lightwave (lightwave3D.com). You can get a demo, but the actual software has a price tag you may balk at for 13 year old. Also, you can get Maya PLE for free for non commercial work with a few restrictions. This is arguably the most famous software used in movies today.

For making movies with camera shots, iMovie is not a bad place to start.