Movie makers for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chance9888, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Chance9888 macrumors member

Chance9888

Hi all... Since i've switched from pc (Piece of Crap) there is one thing i miss. Pinnacle studio. I've tried iMovie, iMovie HD, and Final Cut Express. They are ok.
    I currently use imovie HD, because the '08 iMovie sucks and Final Cut Express is just too slow. I like iMovie HD, but there is no option for a chroma key or green screen. I need something a little more advanced. I wish there was a Pinnacle movie editor made for Mac. If anyone has any recommendations for movie programs please tell.
    THX-
    Chance

2. mongrol macrumors regular

www.blender.org.

Non-linear macho goodness and a compositing monster. Hard as all hell to use though if you're not willing learn it.

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

True that and Motion 3 has is great for fine tuning any chroma keying that you may have done. I've never used FCE, I've always used FCP and I think it blows all the others (iMovie, Adobe Premiere, and Pinnacle Studio from my Piece of Crap days) out of the water! I've been using FCP and the rest of the suite for about 2 years and after I got used to it (took me 6 months) I love it. Also try to pony up for Final Cut Studio. Motion, Color, and Soundtrack Pro all work seamlessly with FCP and can make your project look so good, especially Motion.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I use Final Cut Pro and don't find it slow - very efficient. Maybe you aren't using it right. The Express version is even simpler to setup as well..;)

But since you asked for alternatives, have you tried Adobe Premier Pro CS4? If not, there's a free trial available from Adobe's website. Pretty nifty and very powerful software with seeming integration with Adobe After Effects CS4 (which is just purely awesome and very powerful).

But maybe pro app's aren't for you, especially if you can't find your way with Final Cut Express. It doesn't get any easier than that..

6. Chance9888 thread starter macrumors member

Chance9888

Well, I'm running on a 2.4 ghz iMac with 2 gigs of ram. I already edited the plist for it to work on pciE graphics instead of agp. It's just every time i put in an effect or option, it takes like 2-3 minutes to render it. (THIS IS FOR EVERYTHING I DO!)

7. kolax macrumors G3

Sigh. Be more descriptive!

How long is the sequence that you are rendering? How complex is it?

Saying "it takes 2-3 minutes to render", well that could be really quick if the sequence was 30 minutes long.

8. Chance9888 thread starter macrumors member

Chance9888

Sorry... I was a little brief. This is true. I made a video approximately 30 seconds. Well, I imported in final cut and applied an effect to it. Nothing big, just black and white, and i swear, it took 2 - 2.5 minutes just for it to apply!

9. kolax macrumors G3

10. Chance9888 thread starter macrumors member

Chance9888

Well, I tested it out with a .Mov from photo booth, but i can try something else. Merry Christmas

11. kolax macrumors G3

*keeps out of the way in the kitchen*

Have you tried using iDVD or Toast? Which software are you using?

Merry Christmas

12. Chance9888 thread starter macrumors member

Chance9888

I don't understand what you are asking me. I have Toast and iDvD, but i dont use them for movie editing?..?..