movie not working in AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by blackfx35, Jan 24, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

I have a movie that is an mp4, but wont play in AppleTV. There is an option in iTunes however that allows me to "create AppleTV version" however when I do this, the file size becomes 1/10th of the original size, and only the audio comes through - the screen becomes a white screen. How can I convert differently?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You need to tell us more about the file - bit rate, fps, audio format, etc. Otherwise, just see if Handbrake can open it, then select the Apple TV preset.

3. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

If you are getting a white screen, try restarting the AppleTV. Hold the minus "-" button and the menu button until the LED on the front of the system turns amber, then release. Your screen will flash a few times and then it will ask you to select the language and present you with an option to Restart, choose that option. The screen will flash a few times more and then the system will start-up. Try the movie once it is restarted.

This will not erase any settings, it is just the equivalent of restarting a computer.

The problem with getting a white screen happens to me about once every other week. It's either because of the HDMI switch I use, or that in combination with using a Dell monitor. Something happens with video content that stops it from working. The restart fixes it every time.