Movie on Startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by don't do it, Dec 3, 2010.

1. don't do it macrumors regular

I want my mac to play a video every time my computer starts, would this be possible?

2. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I've never seen a more appropriate username. ;)

Don't do it - trust me, a video playing at start-up will get old really quickly. Some computers boot up slowly enough as it is without having to watch a video too.

But let me guess, it's this one right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkZCtPSAGOw

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If you want it to play after logging in (as a startup item), you can do so by writing a very simple script. If you want it to play before logging in, I've no idea how you'd accomplish that.

4. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

I rarely ever restart my computer so even if it does get old, its just for the lolz. But yes, it is that video which I've changed around a bit to be more epic. But i would want it to play before it shows the login screen.

5. rien333 macrumors regular

It is not exactly what you want but I made a little script which ask you if you want to play the welcome video. Because it first asks if you want to play the video it doesn't become really irritating. You can copy this in apple script if you want: (Then save it as an application and put it in your startup items)

set question to display dialog "Would you like a welcome video?" buttons {"Nah, don't feel like", "Yes, thanks"} default button 2
    set answer to button returned of question
    if answer is equal to "Yes, thanks" then tell application "QuickTime Player"
    activate
    open "Macintosh HD:Users:rijnderwever:Movies:Nieuw project.mov"
    play document "Nieuw project.mov"
    present document "Nieuw project.mov"
    end tell
    if answer is equal to "Nah, don't feel like" then tell application "Welkom"
    quit
    end tell

You have to replace "rijnderwever" by your own user name and "Nieuw project.mov" by the name of the video you want to play in your movies folder. If it doesn't work you can always ask. :)

6. don't do it thread starter macrumors regular

AppleScript Error

QuickTime Player got an error: cant make "my movie.mov" into type document.

7. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Try this:

Code:
    tell application "Quicktime Player"
         set the_movie to "DIRECTORY_TO_FILE"
         open the_movie
    end tell
    Place this in the appropriate part of rien333's code and it should work (it is for me at least). This still won't let you play before login but you can set it as a login item.

8. rien333 macrumors regular

It does work, but it doesn't play in fullscreen and it also doesn't start automatically playing (While mine's does). And no matter how much you try, you can't play it before the login screen. I'm now working on a working apple script for automatically playing a movie fullscreen at startup. (All for you guys! :p) I also made a icon for this apple script a while back. If you want it you can always ask. :)

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I know, I was just correcting a small section of your code that wasn't working for the OP. Quicktime Player doesn't like the "play document" command, but "open" seems to work; at least that was my experience.

10. rien333 macrumors regular

Created the right code:
    Code:
    set question to display dialog "Would you like a welcome video?" buttons {"Nah, don't feel like", "Yes, thanks"} default button 2
    set answer to button returned of question
    if answer is equal to "Yes, thanks" then tell application "QuickTime Player"
    	set theMovie to "Macintosh HD:Users:rijnderwever:Movies:Nieuw project.mov"
    	set openMovie to open theMovie
    	present openMovie
    	play openMovie
    end tell
    if answer is equal to "Nah, don't feel like" then tell application "Welcome"
    	quit
    end tell

Enjoy! :)
    (Make sure you replace rijnderwever by your own username, etc. and save it as an application named "Welcome" without quotes)
    I also have a pretty nice icon for this application, made by myself. So if you don't like the standard apple script icon, ask for it.

11. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Nice script. I haven't tested it, but it looks good (and I presume you checked it out yourself :p). OP, save this as a script or application with Applescript Editor and add it to your login items under the Accounts Pane of System Preferences. Unfortunately, I really don't think you can place it before the login screen as that would require altering the boot sequence. Maybe someone else knows how...

12. rien333 macrumors regular

Thanks for the compliment. :) (I did spent some time on it) I can confirm that it works, tested it on all my machines.

It think the os just won't let you play a video before the login screen, it is something that just is not build in.

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It can't be that difficult. (one would think).

Every new mac plays a movie at the first startup.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

You think a 10 line script is complicated?

lol.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

It must be as the script doesn't do what the OP wants. You still need to log in.

16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

A 10 line script which almost does what you want is far better than writing your own operating system that does exactly what you want.

It won't be possible to do this even by altering the boot sequence, as login items are user specific, so you have to choose a user to run them.

Also, I don't remember the OS X intro movie running before the login has been completed. I thought it played as soon as the system gets to the desktop in its first start, ie. before you have set passwords and login screens and all that.

17. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I was trying to remember this too. But, it certainly plays the movie after an OS upgrade in which login settings have already been determined. I can't remember, but I think the movie played before providing the login screen.

18. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You are correct. Just look at any of the gazillion unboxing videos on Youtube.