Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, after reading through Apple's webpages and tech specs, it looks like the SD Movie rentals are 720x480 anamorphic. Full DVD quality, which is a good thing.

Here's my question. The tech specs for iPods have a limit for the video resolution of 640x480.

What gives?

Also, there is a specific page on Apple that says that Movie rentals will be 640x480.

Now, is this a case where they had to rush to update the website and have some inconsistencies, or will iTunes re-encode the videos to work with the iPods?

Anyone rent an SD movie yet and try to get it onto an iPod?

ft

EDIT - I found the answer on another forum. aTV rentals will be 720p or SD-anamorphic. iTunes rental will be 640x480 (or less).

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
OK, after reading through Apple's webpages and tech specs, it looks like the SD Movie rentals are 720x480 anamorphic. Full DVD quality, which is a good thing.

Here's my question. The tech specs for iPods have a limit for the video resolution of 640x480.

What gives?

Also, there is a specific page on Apple that says that Movie rentals will be 640x480.

Now, is this a case where they had to rush to update the website and have some inconsistencies, or will iTunes re-encode the videos to work with the iPods?

Anyone rent an SD movie yet and try to get it onto an iPod?

ft

EDIT - I found the answer on another forum. aTV rentals will be 720p or SD-anamorphic. iTunes rental will be 640x480 (or less).

I don't understand what you're saying...
Are you saying the Apple iTunes rentals DON'T work on your iPod?
Because they do.

:apple:

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
After watching the keynote yesterday, I am under the impression that only the latest iPod models (classic, nano 3G and touch) support iTunes movie rental.

If I am correct in this, it seems pretty short sighted that they would exclude all iPod video 5G and 5.5G models from this feature.

Anyone try renting a movie on any of the 5G iPod models?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
After watching the keynote yesterday, I am under the impression that only the latest iPod models (classic, nano 3G and touch) support iTunes movie rental.

If I am correct in this, it seems pretty short sighted that they would exclude all iPod video 5G and 5.5G models from this feature.

I just rented one today to put on my iPhone, but I'll try it on my 5.5 iPod as well later when I get home and see if it works.

designboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Oklahoma
I have tried it.

When I try to copy the movie file to my black 5g iPod it does nothing. I get the green icon but it won't copy over.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't understand what you're saying...
Are you saying the Apple iTunes rentals DON'T work on your iPod?
Because they do.

:apple:

No, my point was to try and figure out what the movie resolutions were. This is because of some confusing stuff that I was seeing on the website. Here's a summary.

HD Rentals are 1280x720p and are only available on the AppleTV

There are two different versions of the SD Rentals. SD rentals for the AppleTV are encoded at 720x480 anamorphic, just like most DVDs. I'll call these SD-high.

SD rentals for iTunes, and by extension, iPods, are encoded at 640x480 (or less for widescreen movies). These videos are lower quality than DVDs. I'll call these SD-low.

I had first posted the question because I did not realize that there were two different versions of the SD rentals. Therefore, I was wondering if they had updated the iPods to be able to watch 720x480 anamorphic files. If they did, it would allow someone to rip DVDs in full quality, rather than 640x360.

Alas, that is not the case, which is why I added the extra statement in my EDIT.

ft

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
ft, I hope I didn't hijack your thread with my issue of rentals and previous model iPods.

To add to what you are saying, it's one of those things that I've always wondered if there was one version of a movie that got played on iPods, Apple TV and iTunes. But from what you are saying, that is not the case.

Having multiple versions that support multiple resolutions on multiple devices can be confusing, even to the technically-minded user.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Because the previous gen iPods are not able to delete the file after 24h. I guessed that one :D

Really? The firmware on the previous gen models can't have a update to correct this? That seems really odd. Unless the new classic and nano models are running an OS that's so much different from the 5G models.

esouthern

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Firmware Update is Needed and Appropriate

There is an online petition circulating to ask Apple to rectify this 5g incompatibility issue with a firmware update for older models at: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ipodrent/petition.html.

If technological barriers and (speculative) DRM issues are truly not impediments to older video iPods utilizing the iTunes movie rental service - and, indeed, inspection of the purchased and rental videos show that files & codecs are exactly the same—then Apple has no reason to exclude their many current customers for using the service as it was intended.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I signed the petition on this one. Hopefully, they will at least consider it... unless it truly is a software/firmware limitation on the older iPods. If that's the case, that would be a loss to the millions of owners that have the iPod video 5G or 5.5G models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.