Movie Rentals on iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cuban2, Jul 30, 2008.

1. cuban2 macrumors newbie

I tried to find the answer online , however i was unable to do so. My problem was that I was in a blockbuster yesterday and when i was looking up some movies on my apple TV i noticed that there were a lot of movies that will not be available for rental for like a month from now, and yet you can rent then at blockbuster, what is that all about. I was under the impression that when a movie was available to rent from blockbuster it would be available for rental on the iTunes store. Does anyone know why????????

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Agreements with studios.

The studios chose who can release a title and when they can release it.

It's similar to how all of the big record labels are letting Amazon.com sell DRM-free music downloads, while only one lets iTunes sell DRM-free music downloads.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is the 30-Day rule that Steve talked about it when he announced the program. Some studios have opted out of this rule, others have kept it to prevent the instant destruction this would cause to Rental Stores.

TEG

4. muldul macrumors 6502

It's annoying, i really want to see jumper again, but i don't want to buy it, rental would be perfect, but i have to wait till the 15th of august

5. cuban2 thread starter macrumors newbie

that really sucks, 30-day rule my butt!!!! I was really starting to enjoying my apple TV too!!!! I thought it would be different when he announced last year at mac world that all of these big studios were signing with apple. and another thing i was looking up a movie for my little nice to watch, and almost every single disney movie can only be bought, like 98% of them, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't steve on the board of directors at disney??? that doesn't make any sense to me, I would think they would be more accessible, not less!!!!

6. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

This is why we use Netflix--we just can't stand to wait that long for new releases.