Movie resolution

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thekb, Feb 1, 2015.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

I've ripped all my movies. Lots and lots of them. Now I am going back and find that in the early days, my Handbrake settings were using a lower resolution that the DVDs held. Is there a way in iTunes that I can show the resolution of each movie, other than the 'Get Info' screen? I want to sort by resolution so I know which ones I want to re-rip. Or is there another app that can do this?

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

I don't have a good answer.

But my personal solution is iFlicks (older free version works fine). I essentially drag all the video files into the app. In most cases, the app will automatically re-tag (including movie/TV posters and other neat info) and add HD 720p or HD 1080p flag. If the file is already in H.264, the app merely muxes (as opposed to re-encode), so the process is super quick and does not degrade quality.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

From within iTunes just do a get info on the movie name, then look at bit rate/dimensions in the file tab.

4. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info guys ...

I already have all meta data entered using Subler. I know I can do 'Get Info' but one-by-one for 632 movies will take quite a while, especially since my movie files reside on a network storage and each one takes 5-7 seconds to come up. I am hoping there is a way to sort the movies by resolution so I can easily see which ones need re-ripping.

5. JPM macrumors member

Try Plex

This is a bit of a roundabout way of doing it, but you could try Plex.

Add all of your iTunes movies to the Plex database, then use the resolution filter to find the movies you want to re-encode.

6. Command macrumors regular

Command

I do not see a method for this in iTunes, however, Plex rocks. This is what I've been using since its beta.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Play with iTunes smart playlist settings

In my collection, a 1280x720, 44-minute show is just under 700 megs.
    A 1920x1080 (okay, it's 1920x1036, but whatevs), 110-minute movies is about 2.7 gigs.

This means, approximately, 1080p slightly less than 4x the file size of 720p.

I'm sure a similar ratio exists for sub 720p.

Using iTunes smart playlists and math, you can play with show length and file size to get a good approximation of what does and doesn't need to be changed.

This is what I did years ago for the same reason.

It doesn't completely solve your problem, but it should cut down on what you do have to wait 5-7 seconds for.

8. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh. I think sorting by size and working from there should work best. I will at least be able to eliminate the largest files right away. Thanks. But it would be a nice feature in iTunes.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Since some of the movies you ripped a long time ago are in a lower quality you MIGHT be able to go off of bit rate. So in iTunes sort movies as a list and add the Bitrate column.

For me anyway the movies I ripped years ago are 124kbps for some reason. I think I was ripping them specifically for a tablet.

Or maybe even sorting by the date added if you remember approximately when you upped the quality.

Don't know if that will help you out but good luck.