Movie storage tips for AppleTV/iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BulkHedd, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I just got an Apple TV and have purchase a couple of movies from the iTunes store. I also have a lot of Blu-rays that have the digital copy of the movie included.
    The problem is these movies take up a lot of space on my 500GB internal MacBook Pro drive.
    Is there any way that I can store the movie files on an external drive, preferably on that I can connect to my Airport Extreme, and be able to access them on my Apple TV? I don't want to move my entire iTunes library (music and all) off of my MacBook, just the huge movie files.

Any suggestions?

2. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Thanks for the reply. Were you suggesting The option of unchecking the boxes for iTunes to keep my library organized or the TuneSpan app you mentioned?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The former, since my statement about TuneSpan indicates I can't vouch for it.

4. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Ok, got it. I wasn't sure since your post on the other thread was a few months old.
    I'm in the process of moving the files to an external drive now.
    Just curious, what happens if I turn off the setting to copy files when added to the library but later I turn it back on? Will it leave the movies on the external drive or go ahead and move them to the internal one?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that setting only affects files being added to the library while that setting is in effect. It doesn't affect files already in the library.