Movie - The Day the Earth Stood Still

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacDawg, Dec 14, 2008.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Went to see the movie tonight... The Day the Earth Stood Still

The original was a classic... the remake... not so much :rolleyes:

I remember watching the original when I was just a young pup and I was mesmerized. Michael Rennie as Klaatu... and of course Gort the robot. The whole movie was surreal and so unlike the other science fiction of the time. Don't get me wrong, I loved Forbidden Planet too, with Robbie the Robot and all the others. But there was always something about this movie.

The remake just didn't cut it for me. There were some good moments... but the story lines were lacking and the character development was not near what the original had.

Besides... they snubbed one of the great movie lines of all times... "Gort! Klaatu barada nikto."

And Gort... what was up with that... a real disappointment in my opinion.

If you saw the movie... original or remake... what did you think?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

2. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i haven't seen the movie, but a friend of mine did, and he HATED it, and walked out before it was over. i'm not surprised though, based on the ads that it seemed a bit more of a graphics fest lacking in storytelling quality. it currently has a 22% rating at rotten tomatoes, and some very bad reviews.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hollywood seems to love to destroy classics, I have seen 3 reviews so far and all three said pretty much the same and it wasnt pretty. Ill wait for DVD. Thanks for the 4th review.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Colour me not surprised at this response.

Movies these days are aimed at an audience not equipped to suffer through character development.

I would sooner spend my money on a re-mastered DVD of the original, thanks all the same.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Keanu Reeves. That name will normally keep me away from movies. The Matrix was good, but he really sucks for the most part. I loved the original of this film too.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Idk, we have a joke at my house that hollywood has completely run out of ideas and instead focuses on remakes and comics.

Prove me wrong :p

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And ideas from the U.K., don't forget that source. :p

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Let's hope they don't ruin the remake of When Worlds Collide.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You're most likely 90% correct. Maybe even 95%. Or 98%.

What you left out, however, is Hollywood's realization that they don't have to (re)tell a good story anymore; just make it shiny, flashy and/or (not) funny enough for your average mouthbreathing prole moviegoer to be sufficiently entertained for 2 hours that they're willing to shell out $8+ for the opportunity to do so.

I'm reminded of a scene from an episode of JAG, the one where Adm. Chegwidden visits a movie set, gets hired on as a consultant, and subsequently fired for constantly interjecting that the film isn't portraying things accurately.

Paraphrasing the director in the scene, "it's not about doing it right, it's about putting asses in seats".

10. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I haven't trusted rotten tomatoes ever since I saw their rating of Boondock Saints, which I love (it's 18%, although I feel like the first time I checked it was even lower, like 9% or something similarly absurd). But anyways, the movie does seem to be based more on the graphics than a storyline, based on trailers, but still looks like enough fun that I'd want to rent it eventually. Not worth seeing in theaters though, I'd say.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what a waste of 8 bucks

utter crap compared to original

utter, utter crap of a movie and waste of time:mad:

story seemed too short in a sense. the plot was not deep at all and hardly existant. who are these aliens? why is the earth important to them? etc

the summary of the movie was (see white text if interested for my 1 sentence remake)

aliens think man is killing earth. aliens visit earth and have an ark type thing goin on. alien then releases metal bugs that eat everything. alien realizes there may be hope for man on earth and stops the metal bugs. THATS IT

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I loved it...

I tried watching the original again last night, and again, I ended up sleeping through most of it.

Also, the new one has a few Biblical references. For many people, ANY Biblical reference makes a movie automatically the worst... :eek:

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

And for other it automatically makes it the best...

14. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

As someone who has worked in the movie industry for the past 10 years (including the movie that spawned this thread :eek: ), I can safely say that this is truth.
    With the odd exception here and there working on Hollywood "blockbusters" and watching the end result has become a rather mundane affair I regret to admit.
    Thank goodness for the smaller non-US based movie projects. So much more fun.

15. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

I like to go to really bad movies, during their sixth week at the theatre. And there's only one other person in the room. I like to sit *right* by that person. And they're like, 'excuse me', and I'm like, 'Shhh, I can't hear Keanu.'
    -Zach Galifinakis

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

:confused:
    This is definitely not "the best" movie...

I consider "Alien" one of the best movies in the Science Fiction genre... :)

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I think you missed my point.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You were saying that I thought it was the best only because it had a Biblical reference - which is not the main reason I liked it, nor did I think it was "the best".

Unless you were speaking generally...

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no hes was saying that because of biblical refereces, some would think its great no matter what

he didnt say thats why you liked it if i read his post right

20. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I saw it this weekend.

Awful movie. There was literally zero character development. Couple that with the razor thin plot, and you have a two hour wankfest with video game graphics.

Not even Jennifer Connelly could make this junker worth sitting through.

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Michael Rennie was ill
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    But he told us where we stand.
    …

22. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Since seeing the first little snippet of the movie I have not had any desire to see it. Two things prevented me from thinking it would be good.

1) with very rare exceptions American studios can not pull off a remake for the life of them.

2) Cruz is a pathetic waste of space. Trees could grown in his place and the acting would be better.

24. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That is what I meant; that because of the religious connotations some may think it was a wonderful movie, despite that it really is flat-out awful.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I wanted so much to like this, because I love the original, but y'all are convincing me to wait for the DVD release. If I see it at all.

Brace yourselves. They're also remaking "Colossus". The original was a classic. The author of the novel on which is was based, D.F. Jones, wrote two sequels which are universally regarded as being inferior and ill-advised.

So guess what they're going to integrate into the remake? :rolleyes: