[MOVIE] The Wrestler

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, Jan 12, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

IMDB [8.7/10]

thewrestler.jpg

Costing just $7m to make, and generating a huge buzz, it's the first film I've seen in quite some time that actually surpassed all the talk surrounding it.

Absolutely brilliant. Depressing, inspiring, hard to watch, joy to watch.

A definite must see.

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Awesome to hear e :). I can't wait to see this. I saw the short when I went to see slumdog millionaire (which I'd also highly recommend). It doesn't open in Australia until the 15th but I'll be in line ASAP.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've seen this film twice already and the first time I saw it I know it was a contender. I'm not usually soft on film reviews but this one was good in all aspects. Mickey Rouke gave an excellent performance.

I'd recommend seeing it.

Bless

4. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Micky Rourke won a Golden Globe award last night for his role in this movie. I was really surprised he won it over the other people that were nominated, but then again, I haven't seen the movie.

By the way, I think I will probably enjoy the film since I love Darren Aronofsky.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:D
    Once you've seen it I'm sure you'll understand why.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I liked it, but wasn't thrilled. The performances were great, but the story was a bit light. I wanted to get little deeper into the guy's head. I wanted to know more about his daughter and former wife. I'd say it's a three star movie for sure though.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I kind of liked how it wasn't too in-depth, you weren't inundated with his entire life storey, but knew enough for it all to make sense and play out nicely.

Each to their own I suppose, I just happened to really like how it was put together.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I know what you mean. Something about the story just didn't quite do it for me. Mickey Rourke was amazing though. His performance lived up to the hype. For me, the story just didn't though. And isn't Marisa Tomei aging nicely? Father Time has indeed been kind to her. ;) Mickey on the other hand...whoa. I don't know what one has to do to end up looking that bad, but it must be severe.

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah, she's perky.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- my roommate and I were commenting on that. I was like, "What- do they store her in formaldehyde?" She looks great.

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Lee - I know what you mean about the story being "light." For me, it offered up absolutely NO surprises -- I knew just about everything that was going to happen before it happened.

And yet....it's still an amazing movie based on performances alone, and highly recommended. Happy to see Mickey get the Golden Globe (though I'm also sad Sean Penn, and the movie "Milk" in general, is not getting more awards love).

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, I guess that was it. It was just nothing new, I suppose. But yes, still very good.

As for Milk, the Oscars are still to come. ;) It'll still come down to Mickey Rourke and Sean Penn though. Both deserve it.

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'll probably get flamed for this but . . . I don't think Marisa Tomei is a very good actress. When I watch her, I see her "acting." I don't believe the character. I've seen her in 3 films, but I haven't seen this movie so maybe she's better in this one.

15. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I didn't really care for it. Yes, Mickey Rourke was really good, but Evan Rachel Wood was definitely under-utilized, and I felt it descended into cliche far too often.

*shrug*