Movie to Ipod help

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BenOU02, Aug 16, 2007.

1. BenOU02 macrumors newbie

Hi All, I recently purchased a 5.5G 30 gig video Ipod. I came here wondering how to convert my dvds to files that are playable on my Ipod. I discovered the guide on ripping a DVD to an Ipod Video and followed all of the steps. However, when it came to downloadeing Handbrake, my computer (An Imac G4) for some reason could not "mount the file" whatever that means. So I fiddled around with different files on Handbrake's website and ended up downloading an older version of the program. So after ripping the file using Mac The Ripper, I use Handbrake to convert the files. After I converted the movie to an MP4 I moved the file to the Itunes library and tried to put it on my Ipod. However, it says that the file is not playable on the ipod. I can preview the movie on my itunes, but for some reason it just won't transfer to my player. Sorry for the long rant, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try using iSquint to convert the files and see if that works.

3. BenOU02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would but...

I tried but when I looked at the file that Mac The Ripper created, it is a file with 8 items in it. When I open the file, only four of the items have times listed. I tried to put the entire file into Isquint, it says it's not compatible, if I put the 4 items with times listed underneath them, will it convert 4 seperate files for the movie?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wait, aren't you using Handbrake to convert the files? Handbrake (even older versions) should output a file such as an AVI file or an MP4 file, those are the files that iSquint can convert to iPod format for you.

5. Mugetsu macrumors newbie

isn't MP4 ipod format?
    or do you have to do something extra to get the videos to show up?
    (similar to how you have to do something extra go get videos to show up on a PSP.)

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Newer versions of handbrake have the ability to encode to iPod format directly, which is why I listed it.

7. BenOU02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Isquint conversion sucessful...but...

I sucessfully converted the file that Handbrake made by dragging that file to Isquint. Now, do you think that this is a one time thing and that Handbrake normally works, or do I have to rip the dvd using mac the ripper, then convert the file using handbrake, and then drag that file into isquint? Or is there an easier way around this. Like I said earlier in the thread that the new version Handbrake doesn't "mount" whatever that means. Thanks for all of your help!

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Handbrake works fine for me, I think it may have been a fluke when it didn't convert it right, either that or a bad DVD. And the only two programs that I know of for ripping DVDs are Handbrake and Mac the Ripper. And no problem, glad to help! :)