MoviePass Now Limiting Subscribers to a Choice of Six Movies Each Day

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MoviePass today announced new restrictions for its ever-changing movie service, with the company now limiting its subscribers to a choice of what appears to be six to seven movies per day.

On the MoviePass site, MoviePass lists "This Week's Movies," a section described as a "full lineup of movie titles available on MoviePass in the coming days."

[​IMG]

For this Friday, that includes Mile 22, Christopher Robin, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, We The Animals, Skate Kitchen, Juliet Naked, and Summer of 84. Noticeably missing is Crazy Rich Asians, which won't be available until Sunday, and some of the movies seem to be limited distribution films not available in all areas.

Several popular movies that have already been released are not included for Friday, such as Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Mamma Mia, and Ant-Man.

MoviePass in early August restructured its subscription model to allow customers to see three movies per month for the $9.95 monthly fee. Prior to that, MoviePass had announced that it would raise its base subscription price to $14.95 per month, and before that, it introduced peak pricing and restricted major film releases, all in an attempt to stop hemorrhaging money.

[​IMG]

For now, MoviePass seems to have settled on the $9.95 per month plan for three movies a month, while also restricting the movies available to customers each day.

Article Link: MoviePass Now Limiting Subscribers to a Choice of Six Movies Each Day

2. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

I'm so tired of hearing about this company. Can they just go away like we all know they're going to?

3. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

This service just keeps getting better. And by 'better' I mean 'worse'.

4. moabal macrumors regular

Another day, another change in business model from MoviePass. How predictable.

5. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

This is exactly why I wasn't temped to sign up when they tried to do "damage control" a couple weeks ago.

This company won't last much longer. Maybe 3 months tops.

7. johnnybeagle macrumors member

johnnybeagle

8. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

"This deal's getting worse all the time." - Lando Calrissian

9. mattyj2001 macrumors member

mattyj2001

No matter how you slice and dice it, restrict it or change the terms, if they had one customer that saw one movie a month, they'd still lose money. Buying an item at full price and selling it for cheaper has never been a business model that worked out for long.

10. frozen220 macrumors member

WTF MoviePass. This company is run by clowns. Seriously, I can do much better running this company and I don't even have anything close to a business degree. They're a joke.

11. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

Make it stop. I’d rather hear about the Kardashians.

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

'Enjoy 3 Movies a Month, it's on us'

How is it on you if the subscription fee is $9.95? Are you giving us like a magazine or something and then saying 'these 3 extra movies are on us'? Nope. What they're saying makes no sense.

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Their stock is down to 4 cents a share.
    I'm sooooo done with these people.

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

The company should just call it quit. This is beyond ridiculous now.

16. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I think this will be my last month

After a certain hour even the few limited shows go away for the day. You gotta be an early bird and capped at 3 a month and limited selection and some new restrictions in a week?

17. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Next week's new rules: "When you want to see a movie, you just log into your new MoviePass checking account and load some of your money onto your MoviePass debit card. Then you use that debit card to go purchase a movie ticket. We wanted to make it easier on our customers, and we know that everyone already has bank accounts and debit/credit cards, so it'll be familiar and exciting all at the same time. So yeah, that's our new rules. You basically pay full price for every movie you see, but you use your MoviePass debit card which costs $9.95 a month. We think you'll love our new rules. Thanks for being a MoviePass subscriber. Stay tuned for new (and worse) rules next week."

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Sinemia has been the best ever. Screw MoviePass.

19. WalterNeff macrumors regular

4¢ a share - I’ll soon be able to buy MoviePass with my MoviePass debit card.

20. MrTemple macrumors regular

Why are we seeing so many articles about this company?

21. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Rubbernecking.

22. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

“Journalism” :D

But it is a train wreck of a company and rubbernecking is accurate. Can’t look away.

23. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

I would’ve gone with Groundhog Day

24. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

25. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

„It’s on us.“

Lol please you paid 10 bucks for it