Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
San Diego
Is it possible to store the TV shows and Movies on external hard drive? I have a MacBook Pro and the space on my notebook hard drive is running out. And I wanted to have the Movies and TV show on external hard drive so I can only take what I want on the road and keep everything else at home. Is this possible?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
of course its possible!!!!! its the easiest thing to do in the world :) just drag and drop the movies/tv shows to the external harddrive (it will appear on your desktop on ur mbp, or in "my computer" on the windoze lappy)
i would highly recommend getting an external harddrive. backups are very important!!

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
San Diego
Yes, but will it show up on the iTunes movie or TV list? Or do I have to import them to the notebook hard drive every time I want to see the movies on the external hard drive.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
you can "link" the movies to your external harddrive. (in itunes under the 'advanced' tab UNCLICK the button "copy files to itunes music...........blaablaa") this will make a link to your harddrive when u drag and drop the movies from your external into itunes.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
i'm curious of the same thing tho - cuz i'm like totally OCD (not really but almost lol) and i want iTunes to copy music into the folder.

the thing is i only want the video to not be in the folder...

if i temporarily disable the copying - drag the videos into the library - then turn it back on... will it freak out and start copying or will it just leave the video with aliases?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
actually i think i might have just answered my own question - i tested my idea w/ music and assume it'll be the same for video...

I dragged new music from Finder directly onto my iPod on iTunes. The music sync'ed to my iPod and never imported into iTunes. Hmmm seems like a solution!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
lol yea i think u did answer ur own question.. but what u said will work perfectly.

also another thing to consider:
when opening itunes you can hold down the 'option' button and this will allow you to select different libraries.. for example, you can have one library on your computer, and another on your harddrive, or you could connect via your network to a different macs itunes llibrary. its a very handy feature.

i donno whre that came from just popped into me head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.