Movies Converted with Handbrake Not Working

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nightfire115, Jan 13, 2013.

1. nightfire115 macrumors newbie

I ripped some of my movies from DVD to my mac using the burn program and the .iso files work fine when I play them with the VLC player. However, I want to have them on my iPad. I converted the files to MP4 files trying both the iPad pre-set settings as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch settings and neither one works. I tried playing the newly converted files using VLC player as well as on my iPad after transferring them onto it with iTunes and neither one plays correctly. They both open and start playing, however the sound is choppy and the visuals are all pixilated and keep freezing on top of each other which just ends up making it look like a pixel colored snow storm on my screen. Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks for the help! :)

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

I would suggest providing additional information about your problem. For starters the version Handbrake used along with the settings or preset used.

3. nightfire115 thread starter macrumors newbie

Handbrake version: The newest version, Version 0.9.8 x86_64

From my original post: "I converted the files to MP4 files trying both the iPad pre-set settings as well as the iPhone and iPod Touch settings and neither one works."

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

On the Handbrake forums they offer lots of suggestions about tweaking the presets but ultimately they suggest just sticking to the defaults. You would probably find a better answer there. I am not saying you wont find a answer here I just think that the forum created specifically for Handbrake would be better.

5. nightfire115 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i will definitely try the handbrake forums as well, thanks. Anyone else here have the same problem as me by any chance?

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It almost sounds like Macrovision copy protection.

Try ripping the DVD directly from Handbrake vs. creating an ISO.

7. Zandiman macrumors newbie

Handbrake 9.8 Will Not compress Large files

The Latest version of Handbrake DOES NOT compress large MKV files. The resulting compressed movie file is always a partial rendition of the movie. IE: Handbrake only gave me the first third or half of a 7 gig movie file after compression. I've tried outputting MKV to MP4 and MKV to MKV with the same result.

I spent many hours on this problem until I finally went back to version 9.7 and the problem went away.

I can't believe I'm the only having this issue, yet after searching through many forums, I've yet to hear the same complaint.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

8. Tknull macrumors regular

I have been having trouble using Handbrake (0.9.8 ) to make a copy of a DVD that I have that is very very long (3.5 hours.... bollywood movie). I have never successfully made a copy, although all other DVDs I try work okay. It always stops about 2hrs 15min into the movie. So while it is not MKV related, perhaps our common issue is the size of the file/movie. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can do as you did, revert to 9.7, and see if it is successful. At least then we can isolate the issue to the newest version of the software having a bug.