Movies & Documentaries About Apple

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shankworks, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Shankworks macrumors newbie

Shankworks

Hi, i was wondering if anyone knows of any movies or documentaries about the history of Apple. I saw the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley" and its one of my favorite movies and i also saw the "MacHeads" documentary on Hulu, but i was wondering if there are any ones im missing? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Heres the link to "MacHeads" if your interested in watching it: http://www.hulu.com/watch/94300/macheads

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Robert Cringley's "Triumph Of The Nerds" was the best. It makes every error in your life seem trivial.

3. Shankworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Shankworks

4. ricof macrumors member

We watched a film/documentary about product design (im a product design engineer undergraduate) in studio the other day and there is a fair bit about the design and manufacture of the macbook pro which I found very interesting.

The film as a whole is very good, even if you aren't into design! (and if you aren't why not?!)

5. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I started watching MacHeads and felt like it was a bad portrayal of Mac culture.

6. Shankworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Shankworks

Whats the name of it?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I didn't like "MacHeads" nor the "Welcome to Macintosh". It made most of those people look pretty pathetic.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It might be a film called Objectified, a feature-length documentary about our complex relationship with manufactured objects and, by extension, the people who design them.

http://www.objectifiedfilm.com/objectified-trailer/

9. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i managed to rewatch pirates of silicon valley again.

you might already know this, but dont take that movie as complete fact. I think they did a good job with the movie, but
    1) they keep out some of the great "little" facts about apple's beginnings
    2) the timing of events is somewhat mixed up
    3) a lot of things are put in there for the sake of the movie.

the movie makes a whole lot more sense after reading some books about the true events like iWoz.

10. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

iWoz is a great book.

True, The Pirates of Silicon Valley isn't 100% true but it gives a someone like me, who was born in the 90's, a glimpse into the history of the personal computer.

I wonder how accurate to representation of Steve Jobs is?

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

its tough to say.

people who really know him never talk about it. and the media or biographers have never really interacted with him on such a true level to get a good grasp of how he really is like at home

we each "think" what he may be like...but i picture him like this rock star that you think highly off until when you go behind stage to get his autograph..he tells you no and to get out of here...and you go wow what a butt..and i liked him? argh... The thing is most people never get to that level..so he is kept like a rock star.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

If you are into Podcasts, I would recommend Macintosh Folklore Radio which is available on iTMS for free.

It has some very interesting tidbits about Apple and the Mac. Very nice collection of short stories.

13. Shankworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Shankworks

Thanks for the info everyone. I checked out the "objectified" trailer and it looks really interesting and im also gonna try to get my hands on "iwoz".

And for the record, i never thought that "pirates of silcon valley" was a completely accurate documentary, i know its just a movie and some parts are exagerrated or inaccurate, but i still enjoyed it. :D