Movies get imported in in home video section

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

Hi all..

After i initially set up my large movie collection, a sub-set of these (about 60) appear in Home Videos by default whenever i decide to re-import everything again.

Thing this the same movies appear in both places, Home Video, and in a custom genre i set under Get Info of that particular content.

They appear find, but how can i stop these movies appearing in Home Video ?

Apple tells my its a default it no genre is applied, but i don't believe this because in this case, genre IS applied this they appear in two places.

This is only in iTunes.. There is no "Home Video's" folder in Finder because i don't want my stuff to be rearranged to how itunes sorts it in their own folders..

How can i prevent iTunes from importing into Home video's ?

2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Home Video is a media type, not a genre. You can have iTunes treat them as movies by going to the last set of tabs on Get Info and choose "Movie" for media type.

HOWEVER... while iTunes will recognize (and, if the options are set with their defaults, reorganize) them as Movie, it doesn't actually change the metadata for some reason. To permanently fix the metadata, use a tag editor like MetaZ or Subler to set the media type directly in the file.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks. So basically this is exactly what i'm running into.

Yes, it appears it doesn't save, but as to why its only these 60 odd movies and not every other one ? no idea. So I need to change the Media type with tools like Identify 2 ? This was i was going to try anyway..

However, iTunes should be able to do this.... There is no different between the content it gets wrong and the content it gets right..... they are all m4v format.

i don't really mind changing the "media type" of these movies to "Movie" from "Home video" upon import, but the fact it doesn't save it that way, is the concern...

Hopefully Identify will fix this. Usually any movie i get i run this tool up, and remove any/or all existing meta-tag, change the "Media type" to "none" and just let iTunes handle/save it... but for some reason there's a issue with these 60 + movies.

4. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Not sure. What are you using to rip? My more recent Handbrake rips all seem to default to Home Movie, which I then correct in MetaZ when I go to fetch metadata form the web before importing. I don't know if Handbrake changed or if iTunes started treating maybe a missing value with a different default (Home Video instead of Movie, for example), because I don't have older examples to check.

I tend to have the same problem with audiobooks I rip from CD - iTunes wants to treat them as music, I can move them to Audiobook media type, but I have no idea how to permanently change the metadata so it will do it automatically.

5. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

I'm using Handbrake. but using Identify fixed this issue..