Movies/Music Folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dawrobel, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dawrobel macrumors newbie

dawrobel

Hello, with the ability to keep movies/tv shows in the folder where all the iTunes media is stored, what's the purpose of the individual music and movies folders in OS X? I'm trying to organize my media and would like to find out what the best way to do this is (right now I just have all my files in my iTunes media directory).

Thanks,
    Dan

2. miiles macrumors regular

If I remember correctly that is where iMovie saves the movies that you create.

3. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

so is there any way to delete the movies folder as I have no use for it....further, can I rename my Music folder something along the lines of "iTunes" or "Media"?

4. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

You can delete Movies folder like any other folder.

You can rename Music folder, but you have to be sure that iTunes knows the new name. Look at websites that explain how to move your iTunes music library and they explain the steps needed.

I think both steps are safe in normal usage, but I think there is probably some risk when upgrading software where Apple might assume that those folders are present or re-create them. I'd just make sure you have a good Time Machine backup before you take the steps, so you can revert if needed.

I bet Apple wishes they can rename iTunes to iMedia (or something).

5. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

I tried deleting the Movies folder but it doesn't let me (I also cannot rename the music folder)...is there any particular way to do this?

6. tallguy macrumors regular

I can delete and rename those folders without any problems. I didn't actually empty the trash when deleting the movies folder for obvious reasons but it should still work. Are you sure your account has administrative privileges?

7. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

Yes I am the only user on the machine and listed as "Admin" under the Accounts. Do I have to be logged in as the root user?

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No, just right click on the folder and click get info. Make sure the lock icon at the bottom of the window that pops up isn't "locked". If it is, just click it and type in your administrator password.

You can also try holding option when you empty the trash if you can get it there.

9. dawrobel thread starter macrumors newbie

dawrobel

Still doesn't work, I clicked the lock and put in my password, then tried deleting the folder and it says it cannot because it is required by OS X.

10. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

The "Movies" folder is used for storage of iMovie, iDVD, and other related projects, as well as the primary folder accessed by Front Row.

I do not know a way to change the folder in front row, but you don't have to use it. You can click on the folder in your Finder sidebar, and move it out of there so it poofs away (like icons in the dock do when removed).

You can make a new folder and drag it into the sidebar. Do not delete the folder when you notice there are two copies (one in the place you created it, and one in the finder sidebar). The sidebar just holds shortcuts pointing to the real folders, just like the dock holds shortcuts to the actual apps.

As for your organization of Media, it depends on what you want to do really. If you wish to import the movies into iTunes, go on and do that. If iTunes is set to "copy to library when adding", it will make copies of the movies and store them in the same folder as the music is stored in.

If you wish to just put them some place else, the movies folder is fine, and they will show up in front row. If you want to use another folder, or an External HDD to store them -- create an Alias (shortcut) of the folder containing the movies, and place that alias in the default "movies" folder. This will point Front Row to the External HDD or wherever the real folder is.

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just keep the folders then. They only take up a few hundred bytes at most if there is nothing inside.