Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
Had this problem back on Feb 5 and posted the problem here. Seems that when I add new movies to Itunes for streaming; they do not want to show up on the ATV. This is the message I posted. The same has happened again after adding 31 movies today!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
""Running ATV version 3.01. Currently have over 800 movies that are showing on my ATV. Just added one more new one today that was converted by Handbrake to the proper format using the generic settings for ATV in Handbrake.
Added the file to the proper directory on my portable Hard drive and than imported the movie to Itunes. It shows in Itunes and plays in Itunes. It does not show on my ATV!
I redid the entire process a second time; with the same results. I restarted Itunes and I rebooted the ATV, both with negative results!

What gives???"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My solution than and this time; was to disconnect Itunes from the ATV and reconnect. Problem is; when I do that; I lose any content that I have on my ATV; in this case 12000 photos! Not Happy!

What I am asking is: Is there something that I may be doing wrong to make the ATV not recognize any added content for streaming? And; if one has to turn of syncing; is there a way to prevent losing all content on the ATV???

Thanks in advance!

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
welcome aboard

What type of files are these new movies?

i'm guessing they are not mp4....

Are they avi, m4v, mkv?

I know my itunes will show a avi file but not register it on itunes..

But buddy...spend the time to invest in XBMC and forget converting files to they work for itunes..

my 2

theslaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Calgary; Alberta; Canada
welcome aboard

What type of files are these new movies?

i'm guessing they are not mp4....

Are they avi, m4v, mkv?

I know my itunes will show a avi file but not register it on itunes..

But buddy...spend the time to invest in XBMC and forget converting files to they work for itunes..

my 2
What do you mean "Invest in XBMC"??? Isn't that and Boxee what come with a jailbreak. If it is; I wasn't impressed. I know they play any format; but I didn't like the interface of both and they were slow loading. Mind you; I didn't give them much a try!! ( I am going to try with the ATV hardwired and see if they or the ATV work better )

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
What do you mean "Invest in XBMC"??? Isn't that and Boxee what come with a jailbreak. If it is; I wasn't impressed. I know they play any format; but I didn't like the interface of both and they were slow loading. Mind you; I didn't give them much a try!! ( I am going to try with the ATV hardwired and see if they or the ATV work better )

I mean invest the time to learn about xbmc...totally worth it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.