Movies on an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nevzorus, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I'm maybe buying the new iPad and i was thinking of having like 10 movies on it.
    I'm buying the iPad with 32 GB and i want to know how much GB 1 movie will take on the iPad. If the movie on the computer is 1 GB, will it be 1 GB on the iPad or will it be more or less than that? The iPad with 32 GB always comes with 28-29 GB. If i have 10 movies on it, will i be having 20 GB left?

I'm sorry if my english is bad, it's not my native language :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Depends on how you convert it really. Wall E is 584 MB whereas Annapolis at 103 minutes is 1.21 GB. I likely used the iPad preset in Handbrake.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

If you use the movies from the iTunes store as a baseline, HD movies will be around 4GB. SD movies will be around 1.5-2GB.

If you convert your own DVDs/BRs, you can adjust the settings to give you whatever file size you want.

----------

Jessica - I assume these are converted from DVDs, right?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Actually I think Annapolis is the only movie I've ever bought from iTunes so to be clearer, the rest are SD DVDs. Love Actually, 134 minutes is 1.04 GB Wall E was 98 minutes.

My point is a gig per movie is probably a fair average. 10 movies on a 32 GB iPad should be more than ample even if you're an app whore or just a whore. :p

5. iohass macrumors regular

what app do you guys use to play MKVs? I plan on using VLC, but with the new screen i just want to make sure that as little quality is lost as possible

6. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohh, i'm not going to have the movies in SUPERGOOD quality.. more like a normal quality :)

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you have a fast connection, you can try AirVideo.

8. iohass macrumors regular

i usually watch videos when i'm on the train on the way to work, so it's whatever i put on the drive..

9. Nightprowler, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

Nightprowler macrumors regular

As others have alluded it really depends

Length of Movie. They can run from 70mins to 140mins or more. Obviously longer will be larger.

Compression method. DivX, h264, etc will have different results.

Bit Rate (data throughput) both for Audio and Video. Higher takes more space, but gives better quality. Remember if only viewing it on the iPad you likely won't need 5.1+ audio. Stereo is fine and will save you a few hundred MBs per movie. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate#Video)

Assuming you aren't getting from a standardized source, after a bit of experimentation you will find a combo that is an acceptable ratio of size/quality to meet your needs, and can stick to getting those in the future.

10. sartios macrumors member

I use handbrake to convert movies, but rarely convert now, I use AirVideo, it's fantastic, converts and streams on the fly from my iMac, to my devices, any file will play with it and it works great, mainly use it for my 1080p/720p .mkvs

highly recommended.

AV Player HD works well, plays all mkvs vobs etc without converting, but obviously will take some space up.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I use h264 fwiw. I still think a safe average is 1gb. You'll have more and less depending upon the movie and it will probably even out.

12. Nightprowler macrumors regular

Thing is though h264 @ 1 GB probably looked fine at 1024x768, but maybe not so much at 2048x1536. Depends on scaling and if shaders can be applied.

Sure it will still be OK, but you won't be getting the best out of this fabulous new screen.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I get that but the guy is asking about sizes today. To my knowledge the average consumer doesn't have an iPad 3 in hand. I speak from my iPad 1 experience which ultimately applied to the iPad 2 because the screen had not changed.

14. Nightprowler macrumors regular

Fair enough, I just wanted to point that out because he says the question is for consideration when purchasing the new one.

15. hoofbite macrumors member

I would also assume your going to download apps and put music on it. And if your going to add 10 movies to that, 32Gb will fill up instantly. I highly recommend you think about getting a 64Gb.

16. aneftp macrumors 601

I just use Handbrake and Apple TV2 format for all the DVD's I rip.

That way it works on ipad/Apple TV/iPhone.

Usually 1GB per movie give or take on the overall length of the movies.

17. Cobster macrumors member

i use the app Movie Player - it is great - and will play several different formats... including MKVs

18. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah, i won't have even 1 song on my iPad. Pictures? MAYBE, but maybe 100. Movies? 10 or less, i will delete the movie after i've seen it :D Apps maybe 80-60 (I had 350 apps before, 3000 pictures, 30 songs, 50 videos on my iPhone 4.. and i have the 16 GB version)