Movies on External

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by benlee, Feb 28, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

How do I set it up so that I can have my music on my internal drive and my movies on my external drive and sync them both to my Apple TV. However, when the Apple TV fills up I would also like to be able to stream them.

Please Help. I'm running out of internal space.

Thanks

2. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Can you plug in an external HD and store movies/music on there. I'm doing a media center soon and I want to get an external drive for movies, and on the internal keep music and photos and whatever and get a whole movie collection going. I think I have the same question as you?

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

What I am doing no is have my movies stored on an external and I added them to my library without copying them to my itunes folder (by holding Apple +option as I drag them in). However, if I happen to start my MBP without the external plugged in and I open iTunes I am screwed it will erase everything from my Apple TV. I think it is really stupid that you cannot turn off syncing and no have it do it automatically and only sync when I add something new. However, I don't think that is possible

4. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I have all my movies on my external and music on my internal. Basically what I do is the following:

When I rip a new movie and am done tagging it with MetaX I drag it to the movies section in iTunes. I let it load and do its thing...Then I go to finder and find where the new movie is on my internal drive and move it to my external one. Once this is done, I delete the internal movie and try to play the movie. iTunes will tell you that it is unable to find the movie, yada, yada yada and to find it's new location. I point it to my external hard drive where the movie is located.

I do this for every movie and while it's kind of a pain, it seems to work fine with ATV.

5. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Even using the apple+option method of adding movies it will delete from AppleTV if your drive isn't plugged in?

I used the apple+option way for a while but have since switched. I now have two libraries. I have my internal library, which has all of my music and any movies that I convert for my iPod (much smaller and inferior quality). Then I have my external library that is mainly movies and tv shows. I've started to add some of my music to the external library because it is annoying to have to switch to my internal library to listen to music. When I'm finished I'd like to have my external library have everything and my internal have all music and a rotation of movies and TV shows that I re-encode from the external library. I think sync the AppleTV with only the external library.

Definitely not ideal but I guess until I get some kind of NAS solution it'll have to do.

6. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Not following anything you guys are saying.

I keep music on my internal drive. All movies are on an external firewire. I hold down only the option key and drag the movie to itunes so the file still resides on the external. I have my apple tv set to sync the checked movies in itunes and checked only show synced movies on my apple tv - don't want to stream. Everything shows up fine even when itunes is off and the external drive is shut down.

7. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

+1. This is what I do... except the syncing. I stream everything and my external is almost always on.