Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarchordz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Hi all!

I'm new to the iPhone.
What do I need to load movies onto my iPhone 3GS?

What format should they all be as? Also, is there a good converter out there I could use?

Thanks!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
HandBrake is the best for me; and the MP4 format is what works for me....:cool::cool::cool:

I've been using the ipod/iphone preset and getting m4v's which work great as well. I like that you can not only rip dvd's with the software, but also convert just about any format to a usable one

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Can anyone answer why Handbrake takes so damn long? :mad: and if there is a faster program to burn encrypted discs for backup?;) I have disco but it won't rip certain discs, I have to wait for ol' handbrake to finish ughh

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Can anyone answer why Handbrake takes so damn long? :mad: and if there is a faster program to burn encrypted discs for backup?;) I have disco but it won't rip certain discs, I have to wait for ol' handbrake to finish ughh

Because it's ripping and re-encoding in real time, which is extremely processor intensive.

You might theoretically speed things up, if you have the HD space, by using MactheRipper to rip the DVDs to your HD first, and then just queuing them all up for encoding overnight.

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
UK

Agree it does take some time. Also i have had the finish product on my phone and the sound is out of sync with the movie.

D

guitarchordz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks all for your prompt responses!

I have d/l Handbrake and have already started converting a movie.
And Yes...it sure is taking a while to finish that one movie.

I hope the movie quality remains good and that the sound will be in sync with the video.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
If you're using a Mac then it's definitely Handbrake.

Subtitle and chapter support, choose to limit your movies to a certain file size or bitrate.

The 2009 version now converts different file formats as well as DVD's too.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
It takes DVD Shrink about 20min to backup Stargate Atlantis Season 5, Disc 5

It then takes Handbrake about 1hr45min to encode the whole thing to m4v using just the iPhone preset and the uncompressed backup on the hard drive.

That's using WinXP3 on an Intel Allendale with 2gb of ram.

ummmm ........... that's what I heard, ya know, around the water cooler

And the video comes out great! I mean, that's what they tell me

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I've only put a handful of moving onto my iPhone, mostly w/ handbrake. And it does rock, but there are some movies I've found that it won't do. For those (2 movies) I used RipIt which came with one of the software bundles and it worked great!

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
One more vote for Visualhub here....

Which reminds me, do any of you guys have a specific resolution that you encode TV Shows/movies at for both iPhone AND iTunes watching? By that I mean, what resolution is optimum for full screen iPhone viewing and then letterbox correct perspective computer viewing after the iPhone and iTunes are synced together? In the past, I've used the iPhones native 320 x 480 resolution, but after I sync with iTunes and try to watch a little bit of the show on my laptop, the image is all big and large and a little bit distorted (but still watchable).

Dre325

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
mp4 vs m4v

When using handbrake on my PC, I've converted videos resulting in both .mp4 and .m4v file extensions. Without getting technical about the differences in the codecs or whatever happens behind the scenes, which one should I use for movies on my iPhone and why? If it doesn't matter, that's fine too :).

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.