Movies on iPhone 3GS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guitarchordz, Jul 17, 2009.

1. guitarchordz macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I'm new to the iPhone.
    What do I need to load movies onto my iPhone 3GS?

What format should they all be as? Also, is there a good converter out there I could use?

Thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You should use a program like VisualHub or Handbrake they both work great, and have an iPhone preset!

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

HandBrake is the best for me; and the MP4 format is what works for me....:cool::cool::cool:

4. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

You can download a piece of software called "Handbrake". This will convert dvds into a format that the iphone can read.
    :):)

5. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

My favorite is Videora. It's really easy to use and I've never had any problems.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

I've been using the ipod/iphone preset and getting m4v's which work great as well. I like that you can not only rip dvd's with the software, but also convert just about any format to a usable one

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used the MPEG Streamline on several occasions, but HandBrake remains my favorite.....:cool::cool::cool:

8. yalag macrumors 65816

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

10. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Can anyone answer why Handbrake takes so damn long? :mad: and if there is a faster program to burn encrypted discs for backup?;) I have disco but it won't rip certain discs, I have to wait for ol' handbrake to finish ughh

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Because it's ripping and re-encoding in real time, which is extremely processor intensive.

You might theoretically speed things up, if you have the HD space, by using MactheRipper to rip the DVDs to your HD first, and then just queuing them all up for encoding overnight.

12. FuriousD macrumors member

Agree it does take some time. Also i have had the finish product on my phone and the sound is out of sync with the movie.

D

13. davyreins macrumors 6502

I use handbrake as well. It does take awhile to burn, but it is definitely worth it because it's so easy to use.

14. guitarchordz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your prompt responses!

I have d/l Handbrake and have already started converting a movie.
    And Yes...it sure is taking a while to finish that one movie.

I hope the movie quality remains good and that the sound will be in sync with the video.

15. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

If you're using a Mac then it's definitely Handbrake.

Subtitle and chapter support, choose to limit your movies to a certain file size or bitrate.

The 2009 version now converts different file formats as well as DVD's too.

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

It takes DVD Shrink about 20min to backup Stargate Atlantis Season 5, Disc 5

It then takes Handbrake about 1hr45min to encode the whole thing to m4v using just the iPhone preset and the uncompressed backup on the hard drive.

That's using WinXP3 on an Intel Allendale with 2gb of ram.

ummmm ........... that's what I heard, ya know, around the water cooler

And the video comes out great! I mean, that's what they tell me

17. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I've only put a handful of moving onto my iPhone, mostly w/ handbrake. And it does rock, but there are some movies I've found that it won't do. For those (2 movies) I used RipIt which came with one of the software bundles and it worked great!

18. wowipod macrumors regular

19. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

One more vote for Visualhub here....

Which reminds me, do any of you guys have a specific resolution that you encode TV Shows/movies at for both iPhone AND iTunes watching? By that I mean, what resolution is optimum for full screen iPhone viewing and then letterbox correct perspective computer viewing after the iPhone and iTunes are synced together? In the past, I've used the iPhones native 320 x 480 resolution, but after I sync with iTunes and try to watch a little bit of the show on my laptop, the image is all big and large and a little bit distorted (but still watchable).

20. wazza12345 macrumors regular

Agreed, videora is great.

21. Dre325 macrumors newbie

mp4 vs m4v

When using handbrake on my PC, I've converted videos resulting in both .mp4 and .m4v file extensions. Without getting technical about the differences in the codecs or whatever happens behind the scenes, which one should I use for movies on my iPhone and why? If it doesn't matter, that's fine too :).

Thanks for your help!