Movies on your mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevearm, Sep 29, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I've just gotten a macbook pro and would like to fill it with ripped DVDs from my collection.

I've tried Handbrake, and I end up with 1.1GB m4v files and even then the quality really isn't that good. Oh and it takes 2 and a half hours to finish ripping.

I was just curious:

1. How big on average other people's movie clips are.

2. If not handbrake, what do you use?

Thanks!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

personally I'm very satisfied with handbrake (altough if I want a DVD ripped, I get it from the internet). But ofcourse you can have your own opinion about it.

You can adjust the file size to a certain size. (you can save it to a maximum of 700 mb).

You could try making a .avi file, with maximum file size 700 mb. I (but I'm not very demanding), don't see the difference.

m4v files around 1,2 GB are normal.

You could try xilisoft (paid app).

Ofcourse if your trully want the best quality, buy a digital version or rip the entire DVD (I guess that's not an option though as you want small files).

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just find that Handbrake taking 2.5 hours to rip one film into m4v a bit excessive really. Should it really take that long?

Especially since even at 1.2GB, the quality isn't exactly fantastic. It looks like a bad jpg compression half the time.