Movies Skipping Frames on new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bender o, Dec 4, 2013.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hello everyone,

I come to you today with an annoying problem. This saturday I bought a new retina MBP, with 512Gb flash drive and 2Gb dedicated video card. I did a clean install, I freshly installed all my software and just moved my files from my old MBP so I could start fresh new.

Yesterday I was watching my series and the frames started skipping, I wasn't watching anything demanding, just 2 Broke Girls on 720p mkv file using the latest VLC connected through a miniDP - HDMI to a 40" Sony LED TV.

I checked the activity monitor on the energy tab and VLC wasn't listed as needing a higher GPU but it did show higher GPU on the bottom.

What can I do to have smooth movie playback? I wasn't using a lot of CPU either, I was using 2% according to iStat Pro, I just had Chrome with a couple of tabs, iTunes open without music on it yet, Mail, Twitter and a few other apps, I have 16Gb of RAM and had almost 10Gb free so I don't think that would be it.

Can someone help me please, I used to have a 2011 MBP and I just bought the top of line rMBP so I could have smooth playback :(

Thank you so much in advance

Felipe

2. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

3. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

It stopped working on my older MBP a couple of months ago, I'll give it a try and I'll let you know :)

I was thinking on activating VLC GPU Decoding, could that help?

Thank you for your help :)

4. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

I'm using MPlayerX and still happens the same thing :( here are my stats watching Modern Family on a 720p mkv :(

[​IMG]

5. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

OMG this thing is driving me crazy I paid over $2.000 for a new 2013 just released top of line macbook pro and it can't even play 720p smoothly!!!! what's wrong with this!!!!

6. TooSmooth macrumors member

Probably faulty... try taking it to the genius bar