Movies to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jul 9, 2008.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

how do i get movies i've downloaded (not thru iTunes) onto the iphone for viewing?

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Import them into iTunes, you have to make sure they are the correct format though.

3. Wildog27 macrumors member

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

for DVDs use handbrake
    to convert avi and mov files, use itunes (right click convert)
    or use quicktime pro file->export and choose your format
    :)

5. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

could you elaborate in more detail on converting avi/mov files using itunes?

that's what the movies are in my personal folder, .avi

6. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If itunes does this for avi - if the files are already in the movie folder in itunes, right click the file, choose the convert to iphone option...
    Handbrake for Mac is a decent choice though.

8. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

sorry, it should have read mov files can be converted in itunes by right clicking the movie and choosing "Convert selection for iPod/iPhone"

quicktime pro with perian can convert anything to ipod movies

Sorry about the confusion

9. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

thanks everyone. i'll give all those options a tryout and see what works best for me. just trying to prep before the 3G is released.

10. Wildog27 macrumors member

I actually have a bit of question on this.

Last night, I ripped my DVD of the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries. It's 3 hours long. It was also my first time to rip video.

On the iPhone settings in Handbrake, it was 1.3 gig. On the iPod Hi-Res settings, it was 2.1 gig. Are these standard sizes for movies or rather for 3 hours of video? It just seemed like a lot, especially for a 16 (or even 8) gig iPhone.

11. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I ripped three movies dumb and dumber, live free or die hard, and black hawk down. one is under 2 hours, one is about 2 , and one is 2 and half. my total size for three of those is 2.96GB. I did iPhone format in handbrake. sound around 1gb is about right for a movie.

12. rayward macrumors 65816

There's an iPhone/iPod Touch preset in Handbrake. Without futzing with any of the settings, that'll turn a 2-hour movie into a file that's circa 1 gig and which is iPhone ready (no need to convert). Just drag the movie to iTunes and sync!

I've done this for a couple of dozen movies and, in addition to looking great on the iPhone, the picture and sound quality is perfectly acceptable when I play them on my TV via my PS3.

13. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

will handbrake convert all my downloaded .avi movies into a format for the iphone?

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why don't you try and find out? It should do.

15. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to know this as well. I try to select a .avi movie file but it just wont show up in handbrake [PC]

16. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

yeah, i plan to do that....

...funny thing is, i'm at work (yeah, yeah, i have a job) and don't have the ability to "try and find out". so, crazy me was thinking that if i posted a question on macrumors, maybe others who HAVE used handbrake could give me a useful answer. silly me though, i forgot the most common replies come from those who don't actually offer help/advice.

but yes, once i leave work, finish lifting at the gym, eat dinner with the g/f, help clean the house, play with the dog, shower....i'll settle down to my mbp, d/l handbrake and "try and find out".

17. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Post of the day! Glad you arent hovered around your comp and actually do stuff...OUTSIDE! Way to go man...way to go!

18. Epix macrumors member

Handbrake won't be able to encode .avi files into another format.

19. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ahh, i see. well, i d/l'ed iSquint last night and converted an .avi which worked. only thing i'm unsure about is, the only option to convert was to an "ipod". i'm guessing that it'll play on the iphone, but be smaller since the iphone screen is larger than an ipod??

idk...i'm sorta thinking out loud here because this is my first iphone and a lot of this stuff is new to me.