"Movies" Wasting Space

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Sep 4, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

In the About This Mac pane that displays your storage, I noticed 900MB of movies... But I don't have any movies. All My Files doesn't show any movie files. Does anyone know what I can do to get reclaim that 900MB?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I too have this problem, only my movie storage says 8GB :eek: I searched in all my folders and couldn't find any movies. I used omnidisksweeper and I was able to reclaim some storage but none were movie files. In my iTunes I have only 3GB of movie files. In iPhoto I have about 500MB of video footage, no movies in iMovie either. When I upgraded my HDD to an SSD and restored from TM the 8GB movie storage showed up again. I have an external drive connected at all times for TM scheduled backups. However only TM is used on this drive. No other files exist on the external drive.

OP if you find out how to remedy this issue let me know.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you search in Finder for all files with "Kind" is "Movies"?

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

What do you mean? Just type "kind" in finder?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, do this:
    ScreenCap 2012-09-04 at Tue, Sep 4,10.42.03 PM .PNG

7. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

All My Files is displaying just a bunch of text documents, which leads me to believe that these movie files are stored outside of my Home folder.

Attached Files:

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

A space or nothing.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you see the red text in the screen shot I posted, with the red arrow?
    You have to type something, or the button to add search criteria won't appear.
    That's why you search "This Mac" or "Macintosh HD", as shown in the screen shot I posted. Don't use the "All My Files" for this purpose. Click on "Macintosh HD" under Devices before you start your search. Also, I recommend you don't use Icon View for this. Use List View.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You can also type in "Movie" in the search field and select "Kinds--Movie" in the drop-down.

But it's probably best not to get too upset with things like this. 900MB in a 750GB drive is 0.12% of the drive.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you type "Movie" in the search field, you may miss video files that don't contain the word "Movie" in the file name or in the file. That's why I recommend typing a space, as it's far more likely to find all video files.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i think there are little demo videos or something they might be hidden in your ~/Library folder, ive seen this discussed before but im forgeting the outcome

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know about Lion or ML, but I don't have any in SL. You could always add the search criteria "System files" "are included" in addition to "Kind" is "Movies" to be sure.
    ScreenCap 2012-09-05 at Wed, Sep 5,10.49.05 AM .PNG

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

In Lion and Mountain Lion when you type "Movie" a drop-down menu appears where you can select you want to search for files of Kind Movie. It's a convenient shortcut over what Snow Leopard did.

Attached Files:

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cool! Thanks for that! If you select "Movie" under "Kinds", does it still show "Movie" in the search window? If so, can you replace it with a space after selecting "Kinds"?

17. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Thanks for your help. I feel like I am hijacking this thread but hopefully the OP can find this stuff useful. I did what you said and this is what I'm seeing in my files....

Screen Shot 2012-09-05 at 10.43.43 AM.png

It appears that these videos are imbedded with other programs such as iMovie, Quicktime, etc etc... Random videos like fish videos, water falls, video loop MP4's, etc etc... I'm not sure if I should delete these because they might be essential for whatever program uses them. Unfortunately they are taking up about 8GB of space on my SSD.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible some are simply media samples that you can safely delete. Some may be instructional videos that are part of the help feature for some apps. You may be able to safely delete them without affecting functionality of apps. My preference would be to leave them alone, unless they're consuming significant space.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is a combination of video files that comes with a default installation.

If you do a systemwide search for *.mov you will see them. For example, when in track pad or mouse system prefs there is that little animation that shows the effect of different options, each of those is a small .mov video file on your system. Also... iWeb, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, and Garageband by default have a bunch of these videos that are used when making various slideshows or video effects in menus. iMovie in particular has a lot of these.

You are fine.

20. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It gets replaced with a special token, and then you can add other search terms:

Attached Files:

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks! That's helpful to know.

22. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

I just used the "Movies" search trick and rediscovered my collection of SNL music videos. Thanks!

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you got it sorted out!