Moving a 1tb external drive to internal bay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, May 9, 2012.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Hey all- I just got myself a macbook pro 15" (it actually has not arrived yet)

It is a late 2008 model, so the hard drive is pretty pitiful, with only 160gb of storage (in contrast, I have 4.25 tb networked at my desktop, 2.5 tb of that backup)

I would love to have more storage, and was thinking of putting a 1 TB drive in there, which is enough to hold all my pictures and my FULL iTunes library. I saw a 1tb portable external HDD on craigslist for $50. Assuming the drive is the correct height and size, would it be a good idea to put it possibly in the optibay? I have not decided yet on where it should go (I could just CCC the original drive and put it in).

I have heard these drives are slower though. While not a speed freak (I am not financially strong enough to have an SSD in this, I am waiting to buy a faster machine and go SSD), I am a storage fanatic.

The drive I am looking at seems to be an hp portable 1tb drive.

2. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Do it. :) I have 2 x 1Tb drives in my MBP 17, and love the fact that I just don't have to think about storage.

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, the craigslist guy doesnt have them anymore, but I will keep looking for a good deal

4. abhinav7333 macrumors member

running a 512 sad and 750 standard one. Works perfect