Moving a 2009 Macbook hard drive into a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Urgorn, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Urgorn macrumors newbie

I need to get this done, and would like some help before I spend any money.
    I have a hard drive from a 2009 MacBook; the notebook itself was wrecked by water damage, but the hard drive is intact, and the files are still on it (at least the computer repair store said so). I am planning on buying a MacBook pro, and then using my old files, but I'm not 100% sure of how to do it.
    I know that there are relatively simple ways to transfer files if the old computer still works (via a cable, time machine, ETC), but is it possible to simply swap the hard drives and continue? Please let me know how I go about doing this, thanx!

(The 2009 MacBook is totally inoperable, no way to turn it on and access it)

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

You certainly can. Look on iFixit.com for guides on how to remove your old HD and install it on your new MBP. It will be pretty easy. :)

3. simsaladimbamba

It will only work, if the 2009 MB had at least Mac OS X 10.7.5 and newer installed though.

As for transferring data, you could get a USB enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs and put the old HDD in there and then use Migration / Setup Assistant to migrate all your data and applications to the new MBP, in case you have an older version of Mac OS X on that HDD.

4. Urgorn thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I had 1.6.4 or something.....
    What exactly would I do then?

5. simsaladimbamba

You probably mean 10.7.4? Did you buy Mac OS X 10.7 Lion via the Mac App Store (MAS) at some point and installed it? If your Finder's Sidebar was using grey icons instead of coloured ones like in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, then you have 10.7.4, and that should work okay, as the 2012 MBPs came with a special build of 10.7.3, thus 10.7.4 contained all the necessary drivers for that hardware.

If that does not work, take the USB enclosure route I talked about.

Migration Assistant / Setup Assistant information:

6. Urgorn thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the Mac with Snow Leopard, and never upgraded it at all...but I'm looking into the enclosure method, thanks for the links