Moving a 3HDD RAID from my old Mac Pro to my new one... Need help.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nabe08, Sep 26, 2008.

1. nabe08 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Apple is in the process of replacing my existing Mac Pro with an updated one due to a prolonged and unresolved hardware issue. My question is, when I receive my new system, will I be able to just move my 3 HDD's (3 x 500GB WD) from slots 2, 3, and 4 into my new system and have them all act the same as they did in my previous system as a single drive without any troubles? Or will they all need to be erased and re-RAID'd?

I am really hoping that they do not have to be re set up because one of the hardware issue's with the current system is that some of the SATA connecters are defective are not recognizing my Hard Drives in slots 3 and 4. As a result, I am unable to access any of the information on any of those 3 Hard Drives, so I will not be able to back up my data. Any one have any knowledge they can drop on me?

2. alfogator macrumors member

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Assuming the drives contain the OS and necessary drivers/settings, just drop them in the new machine. They will work, no problem. :)

If the OS is on a drive that will come with the new unit, then it will be more complicated, as it may need drivers and settings at a minimum.

4. nabe08 thread starter macrumors newbie

These hard drives are separate from my OS X Hard Drive which is situated in Drive 1. I was planning on putting my current HD in drive 2 when I get the computer and migrating all of my information over to the new HDD that comes with the new Mac Pro that is in bay 1. Will it move all of my settings and programs that are install over if I were to do this? Because then it should in theory have no problem recognizing my 3 RAID'd drives when I install them afterward, right?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, it should work. Something like Carbon Copy or Super Duper may make things easier. ;)

6. nabe08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats great. Will it move over all of my programs and settings when I migrate everything over from my old system HDD to the new one?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yup. :D
    Your duplicating the drive.

8. nabe08 thread starter macrumors newbie