Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davedev100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
How do you change a documents folder location after creating a new document and saving it at least once? I often start a new document, realize its going to be a bigger project, and then want to create a whole folder structure. Currently, I close the document, create a folder in the Finder, move it and reopen. I suppose I could just move without closing but that seems scary. Hoping there's a more elegant/faster way to do this. Google search just shows how to move a doc in the finder.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
How do you change a documents folder location after creating a new document and saving it at least once? I often start a new document, realize its going to be a bigger project, and then want to create a whole folder structure. Currently, I close the document, create a folder in the Finder, move it and reopen. I suppose I could just move without closing but that seems scary. Hoping there's a more elegant/faster way to do this. Google search just shows how to move a doc in the finder.

For most apps that use native macOS APIs you can click the little arrow by the name of the file in the window's headerbar and there's an option called "Where".

Regarding moving via Finder without closing the app I can understand why you'd find it scary since depending on how something has been programmed the behaviour would be different. The way I've programmed most of my desktop apps the result would be a duplicate file in the original location.

davedev100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
That's too cool! I've edited the name in the window title bar, but didn't notice the "Where". Thanks!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don't find it scary, hard, or inelegant to move files in the Finder. And because it's a Mac you can move files while they are open without worry (don't try this with Windows!).

Reactions: vkd

davedev100

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
The reason for concern is that not all programs on the Mac behave the same when you move an open file. For example, Adobe Illustrator will create a new copy of the file in the old location when you save the file after moving in the finder. Pages on the other hand will do as you expect, save to the file in the new location.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I don't find it scary, hard, or inelegant to move files in the Finder. And because it's a Mac you can move files while they are open without worry (don't try this with Windows!).

You can do that if the app is written to Apple's specifications. You can't always rely on that behaviour though. A good example is that like 90% of Java apps would misbehave one way or another, and as our OP mentions, even Adobe apps can have behaviour outside of Apple's recommended behaviour that comes with using their APIs (properly)

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
I keep all of my stuff well organized so I don't need to spend the time hunting for stuff then I need it. So I keep my desktop clear. I mostly save everything to my desktop then when I have finished working on a file that may require that I dig up other data to do, I then move the file I was working on and all the data I piled up off my desktop to the proper location, much the same as you do on your desk. what I am working on is on the desk, my files are neatly put away on the filing cabinet for later use. I just treat my computer mostly the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.