Moving a massive music library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thesdx, Jan 31, 2009.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Hi! I have 40GB of music in iTunes on my iMac, and I'd like to move it over to my MacBook. All of it is DRM-free. What would be the easiest way to do this? Is there a way to transfer it over an Ethernet connection?

2. kolax macrumors G3

What kind of MacBook do you have? If the previous gen (non-Unibody) then you could buy a FireWire 400 cable and boot the MacBook up in Target Disk Mode and hook it up to your iMac.

Unless you have an external hard drive (or iPod with capacity greater than 40GB's).

EDIT: Just looked at your signature and obviously the FireWire option won't be possible..

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you have a router plug both into the router via Ethernet cables. Turn on file sharing in System Preferences. Connect to the other Mac's shared folder. Then simply drag your Music folder into the other Mac's shared folder. Afterwords replace your Mac's music folder with the one containing your music and launch iTunes. All of your music and playlists should show up.

Now if you do not store Music in the default directory. /Volumes/"Boot Drive"/User/"username"/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music you will have more work to do during the transfer.

Edit: Also if any of the computers automatically connect to your network via Airport then disable Airport in the Network icon in System Preferences. Otherwise it will default to the file transfer over the slower wireless connection. You can also connect the computer together directly with an Ethernet cable.