Moving a single file from an Iphone???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mozzalicious, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Mozzalicious macrumors member

So, I'm thinking of buying an Iphone, but there's a few things holding me back. One huge thing is that when my friend used his to take a video and we wanted to move that one file onto my Macbook by plugging the phone into my computer, it had to automatically sync every single file of anything he'd ever done to my computer.

I couldn't believe how ludicrous that was, but it obviously turned me off from getting an iPhone until my friend said you can disable that. I started looking into how to shut the auto-sync off and saw that apparently you can shut the auto-sync off through Itunes and manually sync whenever you want, but I haven't found out how you move one file from the Iphone over to another device/computer and vice versa.

So, how do you move/sync a single file from an Iphone to another device and vice versa using a cable?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

PhotoSync may do what you want. Take a look, it has a lot of good features. Dropbox can also be used for photos, but not video.

Of course if you jailbreak there's a whole bunch of other options, but you'd need to be on iOS 6.1.2 or less.

3. Mozzalicious thread starter macrumors member

I'd probably stay away from jailbreaking lol. Photosync looks promising though :)

But can you move photos/videos with just the software on the phone? I don't like the idea of paying money for something that's such a basic part of any device

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No, not with the Apple software. That requires iTunes with all it's sync issues. This is why apps like PhotoSync exist. If Apple's standard install software did this, there would be no need for these apps. Or at least the claim would be that they improve the process. You could probably email/text yourself photos from the iPhone but that's a seriously slow process.

There is also PhoneView which is a Mac app that allows you limited file level access. The problem with that is that you have to go digging. Everything is oddly named and while transfering from the iPhone is easy once you find it, getting it from the computer to the iPhone is a practice in frustration. It's easy to add, but just copying it over does not add it into the database. If it's not in the Photo or Video database your iPhone won't see it.

PhotoSync is well worth the price. You can send photos directly to another phone, a social service or even up to iPhoto (which is what I use it for).

Look around the app store though. There may be free stuff in there that does the job too.

5. mrwalsh1968 macrumors member

Dropbox syncs my videos onto my Mac from iPhone, bit slow...but works.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

True! I forgot about that. I think because when you add them, Dropbox adds them to the camera roll and not the video app.

I'm anal, so any video I have I like to make sure goes into the video app and not the camera roll. Jailbreaking makes that easy with Bridge.