Moving Abroad - AT&T Early Termination Fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apolodor, Mar 13, 2011.

1. apolodor macrumors newbie

I got recently an iPhone4 but now I'm planning to move in Asia.

Do I have to pay an Early Termination Fee? I'm within first year of contract. How does it go?

thanks!

2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Call and explain your situation. They will let you know.

3. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Usually you can get out of your contract if you are moving out of their service areas.

If you're planning on moving across the world, is $300 on an ETF really that big of a deal, either way?

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

+1

It's usually decreased by a certain amount for every month of your contract that you've passed already. I think it's $25. So if its 325 to start and you've passed 5 months it would be 200 but you might also be able to get out of it you're moving out of the service area.

5. sbddude macrumors 6502a

$10 per month for smartphones; $5 for non-smartphones.

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

The question is...are you coming back? If not for a while, why should you care :p

7. apolodor thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it a fact or is just a guess?
    I'd prefer to save ETF money...

Indeed: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

I don't know at this point but I'm trying to do the right thing.

Also, I heard it isn't(won't be) that easy to unlock iPhone to use it in another country (even more a jailbreak might not work with future OS releases)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it is a fact that if you're moving out of the country and out of their service area you can get out of your contract without paying the ETF.
    You just gotta provide proof that you're moving and to what adress.
    Contact AT&T for further details and they'll let you know on what kind of documentation they will need.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you're looking for the right answer, just contact att. Better than dealing with guesses here.

10. shukiCookie macrumors newbie

In the same boat ....

I am exactly in the same scenario. I've 3GS an year old and moving to India next month. I called the customer rep. and they said you've 2 options
    1) To handover the contract to someone else.
    2) Pay EFT.

Apparently, they don't care about you moving out of country. I will keep calling and nagging them, to save over 100 bucks.

Let me know your experience.

11. shukiCookie macrumors newbie

The exact same process happen with my friend last year, but apparently they don't do it anymore ........

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Really? That sucks.
    I remember they used to allow it before years ago but they probably got smart and more greedy.